Chicken Breed Focus Rhode Island Red

I LOVE MY RED MY RHODE ISLAND RED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
pros: they are funny, awesome, pretty, nice, mine can be walked and she is the alpha for my 2 polish since they can't really see.
cons: they can make HUGE poops.
But over all i would still would give the rhode island red 10 stars!!!

I love the coat! Those look like happy, healthy hens.
thumbsup.gif

The first one appears to be a Buff Orpington and the second one does look like a Maran, because of the dark legs.

I have two RIR's 6 1/2 months old, and a black Sex Link which is a RIR Hybred mix I guess. Very nice chickens and egg layers. Great Chickens!!
D.gif

Black Sex-Links are Rhode Island Red or New Hampshire Red male and Barred Rock female mix.

I have 9 RIR hens, and three buff orpington/RIR crosses (sexes still unknown). They are an amazing breed! :)

Years ago I raised Buff Orpingtons also. They weren't very good layers but great broody's. I had a BO girl that was being picked on by the other BO's and had her almost featherless so I put her in with my RIR's, her feathers grew back in beautifully. They all got along great. The chicks from the BO/RIR looked like Production Reds and were good layers.

I have 1 RIR roo and 5 hens that are a little over 7 months old. The roo became real aggresive at about 5 months but is starting to calm down a little bit. To my surprise one of the hens became broody a few weeks back (seems early for her age) so I am letting her sit on the eggs. The hens are pretty friendly, two even hop in my lap. I get 3-4 eggs per day from the hens.

I have two Rhode Island Red hens. They have such great personalities - very curious. One of my girls loves to come over while I clean their pen for some petting and sometimes a chicken hug!

This year, we made a last minute order for chicks from a hatchery. There weren't many breeds left, but Rhode Island Red chicks were available. We had heard many great things about them and decided to purchase two. We own our two Rhode Island Reds for fun. They are named Cuddles and Maple and they are never far apart. My Rhode Island Red's combs have flopped over and I think that just makes them cuter. They are also very curious. Here are some pictures!

Back
Top Bottom