Chicken Breed Focus Rhode Island Red

Just joining in- one of my six chicks is a RIR (not show quality or anything.
Her name is Gertrude. I've read only good things about them, but mine likes to peck at the eyes of my other chicks. I hope she grows out of that!

Yeah, he picked one out as a hen , grabbed another one as a rooster , think it's early but I sold 4 so I'm happy !!

Hello! We are newbies to raising backyard chickens and I am anxious to get my chicks the week of May 14th. I started out wanting a single flock of RIR (15 total) - I'm wondering about dividing up my total with New Hampshire and Buff Orpingtons also. We live in N. Iowa and winters can be downright bitter - I studied RIR's for their cold tolerance but the others will do well also. Do these breeds coop well together? I'm afraid of fighting, hen pecking or aggression. Thanks!

:welcome They will all establish their pecking order. As long as you have good ventilation but not drafty in your coop your birds should be fine. The chicks may need some heat depending on how cold it is there. Since they are all chicks and not trying to introduce adult birds with other adult birds you will be fine. Sometimes when you introduce new adult birds to an existing flock there will be bickering until they get their pecking order established. Good luck and have fun...

Back
Top Bottom