Chicken Breed Focus Rhode Island Red

Pics
Production RIR's won't win any shows but that's not my thing anyway. I'm very happy with mine, they are great for my little flock and egg needs.

Showing birds isn't for everyone. I know some people that raise the heritage breeds just because they love the birds. First I went as an observer then one time I decided to take a couple of birds just to do it and see how they would place. They did fair but I didn't care it was just fun and I enjoyed the conversations I had with other breeders. I know it's not everyone's cup of tea. That is what makes the world so great. Different strokes for different folks (my brothers saying). They show horses. Good luck, have fun and be happy...
jumpy.gif

He's a fine looking boy! Funny that he's scared of the ducks but charges the dog, lol.

Thanks...we think he's a handsome boy too, probably not "show" quality like a lot of the beauties on this thread but we love him anyway. I have no idea why the ducks are his nemesis, he charges dogs, humans and any cats but the ducks are a big no no!!!

9.18.15 I have 3 RIRs that have just started laying (hatched 4.15.15). I wanted a variety of chickens for eggs and pets so I bought chicks:

3 RIRs, 2 BRs, 1 BA, 1 SLWdotte, 1 BO. I've always heard that RIRs are good layers. While they were growing up, they were not very friendly and acted skittish but over time they've become as friendly as the BR's and others. One of my BRs was the first one to lay an egg at 20 weeks and the RIRs started laying a week later. I I think RIRs are a wonderful breed and am glad I have some of them... Here's a photo of one of them that I took this morning.. Kay in NC... 9.18.15

Very nice @kaycountry1016 ! Look at the shine on those feathers.

I have 24 RIR hens. This morning I heard the funniest sound coming from the coop. It started out like a clucking sound but ended up like a crow and then it happened again. I only have 1 rooster, a BO, so I looked out in the backyard and he was there. I went inside the coop and 3 of my RIR were just clucking away and then I saw and heard it again, my RIR standing on the roost bar made the clucking sound that ended with crowing sound. All the top nest boxes were full and 3 of my RIR hens were fussing away waiting for a nest box. For some reason they all like the top row of nest boxes. My RIR hens are 8 months old.

I have 24 RIR hens. This morning I heard the funniest sound coming from the coop. It started out like a clucking sound but ended up like a crow and then it happened again. I only have 1 rooster, a BO, so I looked out in the backyard and he was there. I went inside the coop and 3 of my RIR were just clucking away and then I saw and heard it again, my RIR standing on the roost bar made the clucking sound that ended with crowing sound. All the top nest boxes were full and 3 of my RIR hens were fussing away waiting for a nest box. For some reason they all like the top row of nest boxes. My RIR hens are 8 months old.

Are you sure it's a pullet and not a cockerel?
These are older pictures of my Production Reds. If one girl was in a nest box then of course another would want to use the same nest box.

Last edited:
I'm smiling. I think I know what you're talking about. Chickens sure are picky where they lay, aren't they? At the moment I have 4 of 8 laying and they all want the SAME NEST. I have 5 nests and to me, they are all the same ... but not to the girls. One of my 3 RIRs stood on the perch in front of a laying BR and started making loud sounds as if to say "I want MY nest". Chickens sure are fun and quirky!

Yes, she's a hen without a doubt. I purchased my RIR from Ideal's Poultry last January. I got 2 RIR roos as peanuts when I ordered my RIR pullets, I gave them away when they were a couple months old. She looks exactly like all my other 8 month old hens. I actually picked her up after she made the clucking/crow sound for the 3rd time. This is the first time I've ever heard her make that kind of noise and she probably won't do it again.
Here's what my RIR roos looked like before I gave them away.

Mr. Big Red

Mr. Little Red

I'm smiling. I think I know what you're talking about. Chickens sure are picky where they lay, aren't they? At the moment I have 4 of 8 laying and they all want the SAME NEST. I have 5 nests and to me, they are all the same ... but not to the girls. One of my 3 RIRs stood on the perch in front of a laying BR and started making loud sounds as if to say "I want MY nest". Chickens sure are fun and quirky!
Yes, and they can make so much noise letting the whole coop know what they want. I've seen them pace back and forth and fuss the entire time for a particular nest. They like the ones with fake eggs and especially the one with the most eggs already laid in it. I have 28 nest boxes, 14 on each side in rows of 7 and seldom do I find eggs in the bottom nest.

We have 1 BR, we call her Loud Mouth Momma because she is so loud and sounds different than all the other 45 hens.

Back
Top Bottom