Chicken Breed Focus Rhode Island Red

Pics
Oh my goodness, how do you keep that many roosters? Do they get along?

Bartering for feed, that sounds like a great idea.

I just hatched chicks two weeks ago from an incubator we bought online. I sold 20 of them to a lady today.

No, we didn't put him in the freezer. Probably should have but for two days I was on crutches from the spurring and my husband wouldn't have wanted to it.

We live in a very small town so not many people here have chickens. I haven't had any problem selling eggs. There's been times my eggs were sold before they were even laid.

Are Rhode island mean to each other like pecking and is there a breed similar to the Rhode island
Cheers

If raised by a hatchery or big egg farm they can be mean but if raised as a backyard flock they can be nice depends on how you treat them
Isa browns are similar

I use to have a RIR rooster but I have to butcher it because my neighbors complain. Now I have a RIR hen and she keeps laying double yolk eggs like once every couple days. So special chicken! Thanks God!

Oh my goodness, how do you keep that many roosters? Do they get along?

Bartering for feed, that sounds like a great idea.

I just hatched chicks two weeks ago from an incubator we bought online. I sold 20 of them to a lady today.

No, we didn't put him in the freezer. Probably should have but for two days I was on crutches from the spurring and my husband wouldn't have wanted to it.

We live in a very small town so not many people here have chickens. I haven't had any problem selling eggs. There's been times my eggs were sold before they were even laid.

I hatched out probably close to 300 chicks this year. Some of the hatches were for friends. I sell all of my eggs too. I sell out most every day. I got a late start with my hatching this year so my chicks probably have another couple of months before they start to lay. I had to sell some of my older gals who were still laying very well because I needed space in the coops. That is why I have so many males, from hatching. My husband wants to process some of them but we still have quite a lot in the freezer from last year. I want to sell what I can or barter for feed. I go through around 300 lbs of feed a week.

I hatch in these

My incubator

[COLOR=333333]Most often when one thinks of[/COLOR] Rhode Island Red [COLOR=333333]they are thinking of the Large Fowl Rhode Island Red, as it is one of the oldest known breeds of chicken and was developed mainly in Rhode Island and Massachusetts in the mid 1840's. The first birds were bred in Little Compton, RI with the use of a Black Breasted Red Malay cock who was imported from England. This Rooster can actually still be seen on display in the Smithsonian Institution as the father of the breed.[/COLOR] [COLOR=333333]The breed was accepted into the American Poultry Association in 1904.[/COLOR] [COLOR=333333]The breed was developed to withstand the harsh New England winters and be a very hardy bird who produced hens with excellent large egg yields and who also would dress out well and look nice on the table, a true dual purpose bird. While the names and places of origin are the same, the Rhode Island White is actually a distinct breed separate from the Rhode Island Red per the American Poultry Association and will be featured in another Breed Focus thread.[/COLOR] [COLOR=333333]The Rhode Island Red breed comes in both large fowl and bantam size and and single as well as rose comb[/COLOR] [COLOR=333333]varieties can be found readily.[/COLOR] Details: [COLOR=333333]Breed Purpose: Dual Purpose[/COLOR] Comb: Single and Rose Broodiness: Seldom [COLOR=333333]Climate Tolerance: Cold[/COLOR] [COLOR=333333]Egg Productivity: Hig[/COLOR]h Egg size: Large Egg Colour: Brown BYC Breed Reviews: https://www.backyardchickens.com/products/rhode-island Breed Discussion Threads: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/407294/the-heritage-rhode-island-red-site/0_30 https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/644420/rhode-island-red-thread/0_30
[COLOR=000000]Do you own Rhode Island Reds? Are you a Rhode Island Red breeder? If so, please reply to this thread with the your thoughts and experiences, including:[/COLOR]
[COLOR=000000] [/COLOR]
[COLOR=000000]· [COLOR=000000]What made you decide to get this breed?[/COLOR][/COLOR]
[COLOR=000000]· [COLOR=000000]Do you own them for fun? Breeding? Some other purpose?[/COLOR][/COLOR]
[COLOR=000000]· [COLOR=000000]What are your favorite characteristics about this breed?[/COLOR][/COLOR]
[COLOR=000000]· [COLOR=000000]Post some pics of your birds; male/female, chicks, eggs, etc![/COLOR][/COLOR]
I own Rhode Island Reds and Rhode Island Whites. Originally I went to a poultry show and saw some beautiful birds at the show. I had a flock of Production Reds, Red Sex-Links and ISA Browns. I bought 3 dozen eggs from a fellow that told me his birds were Heritage Rhode Island Reds. I did not see any of his birds. I took the eggs home and put them in the incubator and they hatched but they were not anywhere close to the birds I had seen at the show and they appeared to me to be nothing more than Production Reds. At another show I saw a beautiful male and sought out the person that owned him. I met a wonderful person, Matt. He told me all about his birds and the line (Reese) he had. I arranged to get a quad from him at another show coming up. From this quad I have hatched many chicks. About a year ago I got another nice cockerel from him and put him in with some of my females. I have entered some of my birds in shows and have placed very well with them including some champions. The Rhode Island Whites I got from a person that no longer wanted them. They originally came from Sand Hill Preservation. They are not nearly as popular as the Rhode Island Reds.
Cmom I have to had to ya ,you got some very beautiful RIRs in this pic and that *Rooster*Is like WOW
1f44d.png

I hatched out probably close to 300 chicks this year. Some of the hatches were for friends. I sell all of my eggs too. I sell out most every day. I got a late start with my hatching this year so my chicks probably have another couple of months before they start to lay. I had to sell some of my older gals who were still laying very well because I needed space in the coops. That is why I have so many males, from hatching. My husband wants to process some of them but we still have quite a lot in the freezer from last year. I want to sell what I can or barter for feed. I go through around 300 lbs of feed a week. I hatch in these My incubator
Where are you located and what type of deal are we talking about? I would like some more rir specially different gene pool

Is there another bird like the Rhode island red?
Cheers
I live in UK so need hardy egglaying
You should be able to find RIR in the UK. I know at least breeder here in Ireland that may be able to help you with some eggs if you're interested. Have you looked through the breeder's directory in the Practical Poultry magazine?

Sorry I meant a bird like rir because I don't want pecking
In my flock and heard so many stories about Rhode island red
Cheers worms

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom