Chicken breeders or Folks in South Africa?

Pics
Hi to the newcomers,so excited there are more locals on this site!!!
Hey Francois, do you have speckled Sussex also? I LOVE them!!
Does anyone have bantam orps like me?

Hi I'm living in Trompsburg actually it's about 100km from Bloem, I know it will take a lot of breeding to breed this colour and even more breeding to get them up to standard , I'm only breeding light Sussex and brown Sussex might add speckled Sussex soon they are awesome looking birds ! I'm only breeding the large orpingtons for now, would love to have
A lot more breeds but space is problem hahaha!

Why ia it that my baby chicks die.. I'm going to go crazy.. I have beautifull hatches but I lose more chicks afterwards than eggs in incubator... Can chicks die of say too much heat? What temp is best for them? Say between 1 to 2 weeks

Why ia it that my baby chicks die.. I'm going to go crazy.. I have beautifull hatches but I lose more chicks afterwards than eggs in incubator... Can chicks die of say too much heat? What temp is best for them? Say between 1 to 2 weeks

Hi the only thing that I can think of is coccicidiosis(forgive spelling) it is s nasty thing to have in your brooder are they getting sick? If so what is the simptoms?, you can give your chicks some apple cider vinegar in their water it keeps the Cocci under control, what are you feeding your chicks? Chicks can die of to much heat , I use infra red lamps about 25 cm above the ground for the first 3weeks and then 40 cm for the remaining 3 weeks in the brooder, also keeps some kind of litter on the floor to keep it dry like pine shaving or threaded news paper! Hope it helps I know the feeling it's horrible!

phone the birdclinic in klapmuts. their details are on their website, just google them. Dr de Beers is amazing, he is a special avian vet and knows everything about birds and chickens.
they will give you great tips.

Last edited:
Hey, that is terrible. Sounds like your chicks are too hot or too cold, have a look here at BYC there are hundreds of threads of the correct settings/temperatures for chicks at various stages. Lights are probably too hot, or too close to the chicks, or too far.

As an alternative, the easiest thing to do is get 3 silkies or pekins, and use them as incubators. Mine haven't lost a chick yet, and both make great mothers.

Good luck, hope you sort the problem out.

Hi, Im here in Wartburg Natal. Ive got silkies, and pekins. King of my roost is my lavender pekin rooster George Crooney, with frizzled tail. They are my babies and are allowed to eat whatever they like in my garden, even all my poppy seedlings. I am no fancy breeder, but am just starting to learn about the genetics involved. So interesting!. Great to meet some South Africans! Ill add some pics in a day or so so maybe I can get some professional advice about what ive got, and which roosters breed with which hens.

Hi, Im here in Wartburg Natal. Ive got silkies, and pekins. King of my roost is my lavender pekin rooster George Crooney, with frizzled tail. They are my babies and are allowed to eat whatever they like in my garden, even all my poppy seedlings. I am no fancy breeder, but am just starting to learn about the genetics involved. So interesting!. Great to meet some South Africans! Ill add some pics in a day or so so maybe I can get some professional advice about what ive got, and which roosters breed with which hens.

Hi and welcome.

i am also fascinated by genetics, and the more pics the better.

George Crooney
lau.gif
what a great name!

Back
Top Bottom