Chicken breeds

chickenlover432

Chirping
5 Years
Feb 19, 2014
Proud Aussie
Hey guys,
Guess what!? I'm getting some new chickens in two weeks!!!!!!!
But, I'm not sure what breed to get, I want some that are good layers, can survive through all the weather, and are really, really friendly.(to us and their friends)
So do you have any suggestions?

Last edited:
Although ALL my layers chickens survived this winter, some of them are not good for winter- like leghorns.
I will share a few cold hardy laying breeds and show you a picture of each breed:

Sex- links are good ones. They are friendly and lay good eggs!
My Sex-link hen so spunky and fun.
Here is what they look like:

Barred rocks are greats ones too.
Here is what they look like:

Black Australorps hold the world record for the most eggs in a year. 364!
They are very friendly. My Black Australorp comes running when she sees me. It is so cute!
What they look like:

I hope this helps!

Last edited:
The Buff Orpington is also a good choice. They are Extremely nice and friendly!
They have loose feathers and are very soft.
What they look like:

White Leghorns are very friendly and lay TONS of eggs - but are not a winter hardy breed.
But I thought I would show you one anyways:

Keeping them in winter is doable, but harder to do. If you do get them, but vegetable oil on their combs and wattles in winter. (To prevent frostbite.)
You could also do it will lard or Vaseline.

I hope this helped!
D.gif

Thanks! It did help a lot! Barred Rocks look beautiful(mind you, they are all very pretty:)). By the way, I'm in Australia so the winter isn't really winterish:)
They all look very friendly though, and that's the important part
D.gif

I won't be getting them for a while, so I have heaps of time to choose, though.
Thanks again,
Chickenlover

Well leghorns are heat tolerant, so they would probably be a good choice. I live in Utah so the winter temperature drops WAY below zero! I guess I was showing you the breeds capable of handling that.
lol.png

I am glad I could help!
big_smile.png

Well, we NEVER get snow here. We do get hail occasionally, but our backyard has lots of shelter and trees, where they can go. It's more down to wether they can survive the coldness and heat. Australia is VERY hot, though, and we get a lot of flies.
:)Chickenlover(-:

Back
Top Bottom