Chicken breeds

We have Aracuanas and Wyndottes and they both did very well over the winter here is MI. This past winter (which is still hanging on it was in the 20' s last night) we did not see the ground from Thanksgiving until late March, we had about 125 - 130 inches of snow and night time temperatures were well below zero for weeks on end. We even had wind chills in the -25F or -30F range. My 8 girls did well in their large coop with no insulation, no heat source other than a heated water container so their water wouldn't freeze, and no light. Because the days were too short form mid Nov to Mid Feb they took a break from laying. I checked on them multiple times a day and they were fine, not huddled together trying to keep warm; happy and moving all around the coop. They had no interest in braving the snow to go outside (when there is no snow they are free range during the day). I am sure it wasn't the cold, because mid Feb was no different temperature wise than mid Jan, but we started to get eggs because the days were longer. If we had used a light source to lengthen the days we would have gotten eggs all winter, but I think the girls need the natural break mother nature gives them.

We have Aracuanas and Wyndottes and they both did very well over the winter here is MI. This past winter (which is still hanging on it was in the 20' s last night) we did not see the ground from Thanksgiving until late March, we had about 125 - 130 inches of snow and night time temperatures were well below zero for weeks on end. We even had wind chills in the -25F or -30F range. My 8 girls did well in their large coop with no insulation, no heat source other than a heated water container so their water wouldn't freeze, and no light. Because the days were too short form mid Nov to Mid Feb they took a break from laying. I checked on them multiple times a day and they were fine, not huddled together trying to keep warm; happy and moving all around the coop. They had no interest in braving the snow to go outside (when there is no snow they are free range during the day). I am sure it wasn't the cold, because mid Feb was no different temperature wise than mid Jan, but we started to get eggs because the days were longer. If we had used a light source to lengthen the days we would have gotten eggs all winter, but I think the girls need the natural break mother nature gives them.
I agree! They will have many more years laying and a longer life if they are not forced into unnatural production!

Austrorps came from breeding an Australian breed of chicken to an Orpington. Can you see it? Austral-Orp. I mentioned them earlier as a great breed.
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom