Chicken breeds

yesss.gif

HI

I am in the process of looking for another 2/3 girls to add to my very small flock here in the UK

I do not need a high egg production rate (my black rocks take care of that) but would rather have a bird that is a moderate layer - that will lay for much longer (in years that is).

I also want an attractive looking girl, I have had warrens and black rocks only so far - also I do not have a coop suitable for anything near the size of a Buff Orpington - although I love them dearly.

Anyone got some suggestions for me??

Many thanks

HI

I am in the process of looking for another 2/3 girls to add to my very small flock here in the UK

I do not need a high egg production rate (my black rocks take care of that) but would rather have a bird that is a moderate layer - that will lay for much longer (in years that is).

I also want an attractive looking girl,  I have had warrens  and black rocks only so far - also I do not have a coop suitable for anything near the size of a Buff Orpington - although I love them dearly.

Anyone got some suggestions for me??

Many thanks
barred rocks or non-white leghorns?

I do believe that Eiser browns are very friendly, sweet, good layers, Good with different weather. I've had 5 Eiser Browns, and all of them were good layers, one layed 2 eggs a day!

Thank you so much for your answers.

Barred rocks are as rare as hen's teeth in my area for some reason - I don't want to purchase over the internet - I want to be able to look the girls over before buying so I can also check out their current living conditions.

I love the bantams - but worry that my black rocks would bully them too much (my top hen, Bev, is not particularly nice to anyone she sees as 'inferior') Previously she was badly bullied by my previous top hen and lost nearly all her primary back feathers to her (still to grow back). I re-homed the bully to a friend with BOs and Wellsummers who would put her in her place - but Bev then rose to be top hen within a week and appears to be 'getting her own back' - without the feather pulling though. The other girls have had no injuries from her - so she will stay.

Things have settled down - unless it comes to feeding time, then God help any lady who tries to eat first. I feed ff twice a day (going down to evenings only very soon) - so food is not always available, and she is always first with her face in the bowl. I have now gone to two bowls so others can get a look in. I cannot have a cock as I am in a residential area - otherwise I would leave it to him to sort out.

Most hybrids are high layers - and I don't really need the extra eggs, I like the look of the blue rangers (I think you may know them as bluebelles) (about 240-260 eggs a year), speckeldy hens (but they lay about 300) and am particularly drawn to the Amber Stars - although they produce a LOT of eggs!

I cannot afford to pay £60 a hen for pure breeds - in order to get a lower rate of lay - which is why I was wondering if anyone else had other ideas. Anyone know of a hybrid that is not a prolific layer??

Back
Top Bottom