Chicken Coop build - Minnesota Spring

genxjanette

Chirping
Apr 15, 2023
Mendota Heights, Minnesota
Hello! We have started our chicken journey. Last weekend we started cleaning up our yard and getting read to prep the site of our chicken coop. We added a fence to our yard to help keep neighborhood dogs out, and we are gathering supplies for our coop build.

The six baby chicks are on order, scheduled to arrive May 24th, so this gives us plenty of time to do our best to get it right.

We decided to build the Woods open air coop because we have great open and unobstructed space for our coop to face south. We are going to build the 6x10 version, with a 6x12 run attached to the coop, since the girls won’t be able to run the yard during the day.

I just got our permit back from the city, so we can get started on everything as soon as it stops raining 😆.

So, here is a picture of our coop build site. This was taken in the evening and you can see the sun settling in the west. The coop will sit towards the back of the yard in between the trees. With the back to the north and the front to the south.

We have a long ways to go, but we are determined and excited!
84F60E26-2D00-4D07-B1D2-BE0A587556D9.jpeg

Last edited:

We decided to build the Woods open air coop because we have great open and unobstructed space for our coop to face south. We are going to build the 6x20 version, with a 6x12 run attached to the coop, since the girls won’t be able to run the yard during the day.

Excellent choice!!

I recommend:
  • STRONGLY that you build your Woods using the height dimensions that are contained in his book for the 10' by 16' version, being able to stand upright when inside will make your daily maintenance much easier.
  • Decide in advance where you will place your nest boxes and pop door to take best of smaller available wall sizes.
  • Use drop boards and make them and your roosts at a height that minimizes bending over.
Good luck!

Excellent choice!!

I recommend:
  • STRONGLY that you build your Woods using the height dimensions that are contained in his book for the 10' by 16' version, being able to stand upright when inside will make your daily maintenance much easier.
  • Decide in advance where you will place your nest boxes and pop door to take best of smaller available wall sizes.
  • Use drop boards and make them and your roosts at a height that minimizes bending over.
Good luck!
I totally typed 6x20 when I meant to type 6x10, sigh. I edited my post. That's the size I can have in my yard, so it will be 6x10 not 6x20 :)

Hello fellow Minnesotan! I’m doing the same thing. Waiting for the rain to stop to start building. 😆
Following! Can’t wait to see your progress!

Back
Top Bottom