Chicken cyst

So I wonder how your chicken is a year later.

My buff Orpington was laying in the coop a few weeks ago and not able to stand. I brought her inside and thought she was doing good until this week

So after reading more on BYC, I checked her over this morning, moving feathers to her skin.
In retrospect, this should have been done before but I thought she had a sprain.

Well I found a cyst that had ruptured and is badly infected. Some of the skin has gone black.

So off to the vet I went. He is the one to,tell me it is a cyst.

He tells me what it is, going home on Baytril and schedule surgery on Tuesday. I had started tube feeding yesterday and he said to continue that if she won't eat on her own.

So I am the crazy chicken woman taking my girl to get the cyst removed.

I will update next week

So I wonder how your chicken is a year later.

My buff Orpington was laying in the coop a few weeks ago and not able to stand. I brought her inside and thought she was doing good until this week

So after reading more on BYC, I checked her over this morning, moving feathers to her skin.
In retrospect, this should have been done before but I thought she had a sprain.

Well I found a cyst that had ruptured and is badly infected. Some of the skin has gone black.

So off to the vet I went. He is the one to,tell me it is a cyst.

He tells me what it is, going home on Baytril and schedule surgery on Tuesday. I had started tube feeding yesterday and he said to continue that if she won't eat on her own.

So I am the crazy chicken woman taking my girl to get the cyst removed.

I will update next week
Where is the cyst located?

On her right hip.
[/URL]

It is nasty infected, rock hard. I read last night about the peacock with the face cyst and I poked around a bit today. I have syringes, so I have been injecting hydro peroxide into the the areas beyond the black.

After 24 hours on Baytril, she does look more alert.

The black part is probably the diameter of quarter but the whole cyst is probably a bit smaller than golf ball.

Well a year later much has changed in my life (my husband died 3 1/2 months ago) but my hen is doing well! Lays and is simply beautiful!

The above is when she was a pullet recovering from coccidia. In July she survived a dog bite.
Poor baby.

Are you and the vet sure that this is an abscess, and not a tumor? You can debride the dead skin off an abscess with daily soaks and gentle scrubbing with cloth or gauze. Peroxide can be good a time or two, but it would help to use a little betadine, hibiclens, or just saline. Then apply an antibiotic ointment such as plain Neosporin/Triple Antibiotic Ointment.

Are you and the vet sure that this is an abscess, and not a tumor? You can debride the dead skin off an abscess with daily soaks and gentle scrubbing with cloth or gauze. Peroxide can be good a time or two, but it would help to use a little betadine, hibiclens, or just saline. Then apply an antibiotic ointment such as plain Neosporin/Triple Antibiotic Ointment.

He said cyst but tumor did cross my mind. I asked him about the peroxide and he said it would be fine, but I am going to pharmacy for the other products you mention. I hope it's not a tumor, she isn't even a year yet.

I'm afraid I didn't ask enough questions because I was shocked when he said cyst and surgery and my brain froze. She was vaccinated for mareks.
Now I have lots of questions for Tuesday.

Back
Top Bottom