Chicken cyst

That's great that she was vaccinated for Mareks. It's not 100% effective, but that is good she had it. To soak the tumor, you could apply some warm soaks with a wash cloth, or if you can dry here afterward, you could soak the wound or even give her a bath, but be sure to get her dry and keep her warm. To get dead or necrotic tissue off, soaking the area and gentle scrubbing is needed, but stop when there is bleeding. Tumors can be common in chickens, but so can abscesses.

Warning pictures
I soaked it with warm washcloth and was then able to cut this out. I have gauze and neosporin in the hole.

Good job--looks like it could be a core of hardened puss which is common in chickens, kind of like what is found with bumble foot. Peroxide does great to fizz out the inside of a crater, then apply some antibiotic ointment daily.

Surgery is tomorrow. I was picking around, trying to learn a bit more, in case I ever have a sore again that's not this bad.

She just laid on her side and let me cut it out.

Good job--looks like it could be a core of hardened puss which is common in chickens, kind of like what is found with bumble foot. Peroxide does great to fizz out the inside of a crater, then apply some antibiotic ointment daily.

Thank you. Your comments help build my confidence.

So Buffy came out of surgery very good. She recognized me when I
picked her up, I almost swear she looked relieved to see me.

The cyst was between a quarter and half dollar in size. He said it was caused from feather not developing correctly.

I am suppose to bring her back in 10 days for stitch removal. There are lots of stitches, I will post picture later, I don't want to move her much tonight.

He said she can eat and drink when she is ready--she is ready. Haven't seen her eat so vigorously in a few weeks.

Now she is sleeping deeply.

Hopefully she will feel better, gain some weight back and be on her feet in a week.

Thanks for the support.

Marlene

Back
Top Bottom