CHICKEN MATH STRIKES AGAIN

I'm new to this thread, and I love reading all the stories! It's good to know that I'm not alone in my chicken addiction. I started 11 in the bator two days ago (I couldn't wait until March like I had planned), and I have a dozen more coming next week! Then I realized... that I am really addicted to hatching chicks!! Omg... Chicken math is going crazy here! Lol

Christmas day 2012 i set a few eggs.

Feb 5 2014 - i have 13 coops

what happened?

I can relate! I started out hatching a small number of eggs last year starting out with one coop. Right now I have 2 coops, and I'm going to be building 5 more coops in March to accommodate the chickens I'm hatching right now. LOL! I actually decided to breed and develop some choice breeds. I'm glad I'm not the only one! :)

I am glad I am not alone in this battle with chicken math. When I moved to the country, I wanted a couple of chickens (maybe a rooster and hen). My son's coworker had 10 4-month old chickens. One started crowing and she can't have roosters in her neighborhood, so we took him. A couple of weeks later, she found that she had another rooster, so we agreed to take him also if she gave us a hen. So we were up to 3 but we thought that one rooster was lonely since the hen liked the other rooster, so we went to an auction and got 6 hens and 2 roosters (we were not allowed to bid on just hens). So we had 11 chickens and decided that was all we would have. Then the 2 new roosters and 1 hen died so then we had 8. We had built two chicken pens to keep the two roosters separate, and we thought that "we have room for more chickens". One hen went broody and hatched 3 chicks. So we were up to 11. One hen died. Then another hen went broody and she hatched 10 this week, but 4 died. We are now up to 16 chickens. We are talking about building a larger "community" pen with a large run, but I know if we make it too big we will have to get more chickens to fill it. I am hoping another hen doesn't go broody before we build a bigger pen. So now we have a 16 month old GLW rooster, a 16 month old BSL rooster, five 1 year old BR hens, three 3 month old BR/BSL/GLW mixed pullets, and 6 new BR/BSL mix chicks. I intended to only have 2 chickens.
I am not even going to try to explain how in 2 years, we went from WANTING 2 chickens to HAVING 46. We would have over 75 if some had not died, we had not sold some, and we had not given a few away. :)

Ha ha! I love it! We started with 8 backyard hens. Then, on this site, rigged towards Chicken addiction. I read about broody hens and incubators and such. (It's a conspiracy) (not my fault) lol, now I have 31 birds, and 29 eggs developing. I need help. :)

I totally get it we had a small coop that my sweet DH made me. Next thing I know we had to make a bigger run.then when the tree house fell we had to make a bigger coop with it.and last week my DH made me a small coop for t the silkie chicks I had to pick up. Chicken math is crazy.:rolleyes:

Ha ha! I love it! We started with 8 backyard hens. Then, on this site, rigged towards Chicken addiction. I read about broody hens and incubators and such. (It's a conspiracy) (not my fault) lol, now I have 31 birds, and 29 eggs developing. I need help. :)
I also have 40 in the incubator expected to hatch Wednesday, but we will sell all of them.

Back
Top Bottom