Chicken math

What colors you getting? I hatched some silkies this year and I love my silkies they are so sweet and curious. Also not terribly looking forward to subtraction but I know its necessary. I think we might get away without it until hatches next year but that depends. Right now if I do any subtraction it will be selling not butchering. Still have six chicks that are just a little too young to be sure but I think we may have two out of six cockerals with our previous numbers that could just about work. Plus we are going to be adding more pullets this upcoming spring I'm sure.

I believe it is black that is in the incubator, she breeds both black and blue so not 100% sure which one she put in the incubator with my eggs. My silkies are going to be used mostly for brooding my buff brahma bantams that we are breeding.

Awww :( I'm not looking forward to chicken subtraction .

One of the new layer hurt one leg few months ago and never recovered, others end up hurting her. Couldn't stand seeing her suffer, told wife to take kids shopping so they don't have to see. We might end up replacing her (BR) with 5-6 new chicks this spring.

Let's see.....got rid of 7 Chinese geese,kept 5embdens,lost one broiler,leaves me with 24,hatched 5barred rocks,5 black Copper Marans,5 Dorkings,1 splash Jersey Giant. Have "Lucky" my asil,in the house,not sure if he counts. 5 dark Cornish,and 3 White Jersey Giants. Tomorrow I'm driving 3 hours one way to pick up 8 Saipan from a breeder. Trying to talk my wife into letting me get an ostrich....

Let's see.....got rid of 7 Chinese geese,kept 5embdens,lost one broiler,leaves me with 24,hatched 5barred rocks,5 black Copper Marans,5 Dorkings,1 splash Jersey Giant. Have "Lucky" my asil,in the house,not sure if he counts. 5 dark Cornish,and 3 White Jersey Giants. Tomorrow I'm driving 3 hours one way to pick up 8 Saipan from a breeder. Trying to talk my wife into letting me get an ostrich....

Geese don't count since they are well... geese.
Any chicken in the house male OR female does not count since they are in the house.
Any pullet (under one year old) does not count because they are pullets.
Any rooster or cockerel does not count since no matter how much they may want to they will never lay an egg.
Any chicken you have not picked up yet cannot count since they are not there yet inside or outside and line 3 and 4 above must be applied once they do arrive.
Any still in eggs cannot count for obvious reasons.

We wont even go into why an Ostrich wont count........at this time.

What this boils down to is you are seriously lacking in chickens.

Geese don't count since they are well... geese.
Any chicken in the house male OR female does not count since they are in the house.
Any pullet (under one year old) does not count because they are pullets.
Any rooster or cockerel does not count since no matter how much they may want to they will never lay an egg.
Any chicken you have not picked up yet cannot count since they are not there yet inside or outside and line 3 and 4 above must be applied once they do arrive.
Any still in eggs cannot count for obvious reasons.

We wont even go into why an Ostrich wont count........at this time.

What this boils down to is you are seriously lacking in chickens.

Just picked up 2 one year old Black Isbar hens. Do I count them now or when they come out of quarantine? Or when they lay their 1st eggs for me?

JRNash, you had me laughing so hard my sides hurt. Thank you for letting me know that I'm not alone in this crazy chicken math. Lol. My husband just shakes his head at me at says I need a refresher math course and fewer chickens. He is also plotting on hiding the incubator. He is trying to find a chicken help group for me, he thinks I'm addicted to our chickens. I can't help it that I find raising chickens therapeutic and enjoyable.

Back
Top Bottom