Chicken math

At first, I was only going to get one or two as pets. I'm ending up with sixteen, now, and only stopping there due to a law against owning any more, given my property size.

I wish I could move out of this suburbia.

Chicken math is killing me this year. I ordered 36 from McMurray, 6 layers and 30 meat birds. Well, they sent me 7 layers, 31 meat birds, and the free rare exotic that turned out to be a buff laced polish.

We lost 4 meaties and a pullet (my speckled sussex
hit.gif
) to shipping stress. Even though we were sent extras and I still have more than enough, I got distracted by TSC's chick days. Naturally.

So I decided I needed to replace my lost speckled sussex with a welsummer. Obviously (not really, since I was already given an extra layer, but I digress). And since you can't just buy one I figured I'd get 5 Cornish Xs to replace my meat birds. But for some reason I decided I needed an even 6 cx. At this point I'm just proud of myself for only getting one welsummer.

So if you've kept up with my math thus far I'm currently brooding 33 meat birds and 7 layers, plus a polish cockerel I'll have to sell. My original order was for 30 meaties and 6 layers. None of this is including the 6 girls I've already got out in the coop.

I'm already trying to decide how to expand my coop next year because I know it's going to be a problem when I don't have the room to add more layers as these 13 will max out my coop space. I'm already chicken mathing for next year!
th.gif
It awufl... lol... I have 75 in the bator
fl.gif
. Three sets of hatching eggs yet to receive and two shipments of chicks still to come. We were already going to build another coop, now my husband is staring to threaten all those who Enable me, such as, the babysitter, my daughters teacher, and even people he works with. He has told them they are helping build cuz its their fault.
lol.png

May 9th, 2009, wife bought 6 silkie eggs off of Ebay for my May 28th B-day...Before that day, I never even held a chicken and nobody wrote in my yearbooks, "he'll grow up to raise ducks and chickens", more like, "if he lives to 21, he'll be lucky"...2 hatched, Puff n' Stuff...They both passed last year...But now, 14 coops later and as of March 22nd, 2015;

35 - silkies
24 - polish
10 - mixed runner ducks
10 - sultans
8 - Pultans
5 - pekins
2 - sebrights
2 - muscovies

and 3 incubators with about 100 eggs combined running at all times...If anyone ever needed an intervention, it's us!

May 9th, 2009, wife bought 6 silkie eggs off of Ebay for my May 28th B-day...Before that day, I never even held a chicken and nobody wrote in my yearbooks, "he'll grow up to raise ducks and chickens", more like, "if he lives to 21, he'll be lucky"...2 hatched, Puff n' Stuff...They both passed last year...But now, 14 coops later and as of March 22nd, 2015;

35 - silkies
24 - polish
10 - mixed runner ducks
10 - sultans
8 - Pultans
5 - pekins
2 - sebrights
2 - muscovies

and 3 incubators with about 100 eggs combined running at all times...If anyone ever needed an intervention, it's us!
Awesome! And I can't help but want to order more hatching eggs every time I come across a breed I want. I have not room in the bator right now. I have been hinting at a big one from Christmas. My husband is scared of what I would do with a big bator.
idunno.gif

At first, I was only going to get one or two as pets. I'm ending up with sixteen, now, and only stopping there due to a law against owning any more, given my property size.

I wish I could move out of this suburbia.
That stinks....Always a darn law somewhere huh?...I currently have 11 chicks and 2 ducks...I have 15 shipping tomorrow and another 15 (silkies) shipping at the end of May...My husband said he only wanted us to have 13 chickens at a time MAX....

Awesome! And I can't help but want to order more hatching eggs every time I come across a breed I want. I have not room in the bator right now. I have been hinting at a big one from Christmas. My husband is scared of what I would do with a big bator.
idunno.gif
I told my husband I wanted an incubator..His eyes started to glaze over as it was dawning on him what I was saying...lol....

35 - silkies
24 - polish
10 - mixed runner ducks
10 - sultans
8 - Pultans
5 - pekins
2 - sebrights
2 - muscovies

That's ALOT of chickens....You must have alot of fun.....100 eggs, aye aye aye....

My husband was extremely unhappy when he saw I brought home a trio of cream Legbar chicks yesterday. He just can't see the big picture. It brings me to 18 in the coop. 9 chicks in garage. 3 chicks in a bedroom. And 15 eggs in the incubator. And two eggs under a broody.
Awww...My hubby was happy I didn't bring home any chicks.. (have 15 coming by wed) BUT I did buy a bunny...
tongue.png

Before that day, I never even held a chicken and nobody wrote in my yearbooks, "he'll grow up to raise ducks and chickens", more like, "if he lives to 21, he'll be lucky"

Shoot, just six years ago there's an 80% chance you would have found me smoking weed behind the bar I worked at in Seattle. I'm now married with two kids, one on the way, and a small 2 acre homestead in Texas starting up with 4 dozen chickens, a small garden, and prepping to fence for goats. I don't think anyone I knew in high school/college would even recognize me and my chicken math dilemmas!

cool.png

Back
Top Bottom