Chicken math

I just ordered my first 12 chicks, but sadly I don't have any more room for more.
sad.png
I wish I could get more and I don't even have my fist chicks yet
hit.gif
hmm.png

I felt the same in 2014. Now we are moving into large acreage, and so far have about 150 chickens and 15 ducks (downsized for winter, LOL). We wanted 6 laying hens for our family, and bought 15 straight run baby chicks back in 2014. It quickly went out of hand ;-)

Now we are seriously discussing a couple of mini goats, and a few pigs.

So be careful, backyard chickens can be very dangerous! Hahahaha :)

Last edited:
I felt the same in 2014. Now we are moving into large acreage, and so far have about 150 chickens and 15 ducks (downsized for winter, LOL). We wanted 6 laying hens for our family, and bought 15 straight run baby chicks back in 2014. It quickly went out of hand ;-)

Dangerous? How about it's a mental disease!
1f602.png
LOL. I wanted 3 hens for eggs, but regulations says 6 is the minimum in our county. I said " regulations my butt" I took home 10 chicks.

I built a big enough 10x12 coop and 10x12 run. Many friends try to "gift" me new chicks. I said NO for a year. Now I got a run 3X the original and modified coop few times and 30++ layers, Come on! I think I belong in the looney bin.
1f913.png

:th WOW! That is a bunch of chickens! Haha I had no idea what I was getting myself into, and now I'm a little afraid that I'm going to become a crazy lady with a million chickens :gig though thinking about it that wouldn't be so bad :weee

I wasn't supposed to get more than 6, I then ordered 8 from Meyers and got 4 Silkies. That is 12 chickens....6 is 12 though right? Because when you divide 12 by 2 it's 6. Makes sense to me...only got '6' chickens then xD

Well, let's see..... I ordered:

4 RIR pullets
3 BO Pullets
4 Barred Rock Pullets

And,

10 Easter Egger pullets.

They will come in at 3 different times, but I should be able to move the first batch of 11 out to the chicken tractor by the time the Easter Eggers come in. I live in NW Florida, so it should be warm enough by then, as long as i have a heat lamp for them.

Wow! I wish our feed store allowed us to order in smaller numbers. :) good call on the EE they're some of our favorite chickens.

Idk if your feed store is the same but you may want to be sure they know if you want all different EE or similar. It's something ours does so you tell them variety or something along those lines.

I think you'll really like the BO too they're beautiful birds and ours have been good layers and one went broody and hatched eggs last spring for us too. She was a great Mommy!

Chicken math is truly deadly .....

I started out with 0 interest in chickens , thinking its not gonna happen well it did . my neighbor Mrs Lou came to me one day and said her daughter Rita worked with 4-h and would love it if I would do the 4-h chick chain. I read up on the hens and found that I could get some profit off of the eggs and meat . and of course like any victim of chicken math I decided to get 5 barreds and 5 BO . as soon as the chicks arrived I immediately began to plot to get some more fuzzy butts , and now I'm waiting till June , which is when my 7 mottled Cochin's and my 8 fleurs will arrive . :celebrate

Back
Top Bottom