Chicken math

On one hand I'm afraid that might happen, but on the other I think it might be a good learning too for our son.
were you able to find a good app? I really want to start this soon as they will lay within 2 months. Perfect for the homeschoolers. Graphs charts comparisons planning...I haven't been able to

We are allowed (per our city laws) 4 laying hens, no roosters. I have 13 hens and 15 more on the way! With plenty of roosters I might add;)
-Liv
oooo that's a great chicken math test! What will you do if city fines you or someone reports you?? (We don't have limit as we are in middle of nowhere but I would pay fine just to shut them up lol) just curious as to what you would do.

We'd pay the fine, and when they came to see if we got rid of em', We'd hide them all in my closet. They'll never know!
1f602.png

-Liv

I think I did chicken math wrong? I mean, I still meant to have just a few but ended up with more...

See, I've experienced a lot of early loss with chicks due to poor breeding of local "chicken swap" folks and a lesser known hatchery (5 of 6 barred rock chicks lost; one DOA and the others gone within 24 hours despite Sav-a-Chik and best efforts). Definitely learned a lesson. Not every chick is gonna make it. That's why they lay so many eggs, right?

When I moved in with my beau and decided to start my own flock, I decided I wanted four EE hens to go with my current EE rooster and EE hen (seen in my avatar). So I ordered 16 EE bitties. Sexed female and vax'd for cocci. Based on my existing not-so-great experiences with not-so-great chick quality, I used the following reasoning behind ordering 16 bitties...

--- I figured I'd lose one or two in shipping, leaving me with 14. Nope. They were all bright eyed and fluffy butts when I opened the box, readily ate and drank and told everyone within earshot just exactly what they thought about their adventures with the postal service.

--- I figured I'd lose roughly half within the first week or so to whatever random misfortune --- sickness, poor breeding, choking on bedding material, etc --- leaving me with seven....Nope. They're pretty smart and have been very hardy. So lively, inquisitive, but cautious and careful. I'm impressed by the difference in quality from a professional hatchery versus "local breeder so-and-so."

--- I figured of the remaining seven, I'd end up with at least three incorrectly sexed chicks, which would leave me with a grand total of four hens. Nope. There is one suspect hidden cockerel based on behavior and a slightly more prominent comb than the other 15 (plus some reddish splashes on the shoulders), but it's still pretty early to tell for sure since they still have plenty of feathering in to do.

All I really wanted was 4 hens that I could raise from bitties so they'd know me and be feathered family... Guess I can pick my favorites to keep and give away or sell the rest, but either way, it looks like I'll be building a bigger coop soon!

I think I did chicken math wrong? I mean, I still meant to have just a few but ended up with more...

See, I've experienced a lot of early loss with chicks due to poor breeding of local "chicken swap" folks and a lesser known hatchery (5 of 6 barred rock chicks lost; one DOA and the others gone within 24 hours despite Sav-a-Chik and best efforts). Definitely learned a lesson. Not every chick is gonna make it. That's why they lay so many eggs, right?

When I moved in with my beau and decided to start my own flock, I decided I wanted four EE hens to go with my current EE rooster and EE hen (seen in my avatar). So I ordered 16 EE bitties. Sexed female and vax'd for cocci. Based on my existing not-so-great experiences with not-so-great chick quality, I used the following reasoning behind ordering 16 bitties...

--- I figured I'd lose one or two in shipping, leaving me with 14. Nope. They were all bright eyed and fluffy butts when I opened the box, readily ate and drank and told everyone within earshot just exactly what they thought about their adventures with the postal service.

--- I figured I'd lose roughly half within the first week or so to whatever random misfortune --- sickness, poor breeding, choking on bedding material, etc --- leaving me with seven....Nope. They're pretty smart and have been very hardy. So lively, inquisitive, but cautious and careful. I'm impressed by the difference in quality from a professional hatchery versus "local breeder so-and-so."

--- I figured of the remaining seven, I'd end up with at least three incorrectly sexed chicks, which would leave me with a grand total of four hens. Nope. There is one suspect hidden cockerel based on behavior and a slightly more prominent comb than the other 15 (plus some reddish splashes on the shoulders), but it's still pretty early to tell for sure since they still have plenty of feathering in to do.

All I really wanted was 4 hens that I could raise from bitties so they'd know me and be feathered family... Guess I can pick my favorites to keep and give away or sell the rest, but either way, it looks like I'll be building a bigger coop soon!

Sounds like good chicken math to me!!!

i wanted 20 this year have 34....... (added to our 25 chicken flock, 2 peafowl, and 4 guieans #chickenfever)

That was last year... this year is even more hectic
18+ bantam chicks
24+ LF chicks
Over 30 laying hens
18 LF eggs in the incubator #1
Another dozen bantams eggs coming soon for incubator #2
15+ Turkey eggs in incubator #3
9 Turkey eggs at a friend's cause I didn't have room
Picking up 12+ LF chicks next weekend
Buying another 3-4 breeders at a swap in March
5 OEG bantams coming in 2 weeks
12 LF chicks pickup at March swap
45 broiler chicks ordered for June
15 meat turkeys coming in middle of March
And 2 poults already hatched... and Turkey egg production and fertility is going up
A Pair of peafowl
6+ guineas
We have had to clean out another area of our barn but we're making it work!!!
And that's just poultry we also have goats, steers, sheep and cats

Last edited:
I hope everyone is doing well. Ive added 5 to my flocks since I was here last. 4 Isa browns and 1 cochin silkie mix.
my totals are
13 laying hens
1 full size roo
2 cochin bantam hens
1 mean bantam too

I plan on getting more bantam chicks in a couple months when the snow goes away here. Hubby doesn't see any value in them but they're just so darn cute I cant help but want more.

Back
Top Bottom