Chicken myths and old wives' tales, please!

Here's another one: "I heard that someone (it's always someone) cracked an egg into a frying pan and a baby chick fell out." In some stories the chick actually ran around the pan.
lau.gif

Whenever I get the "you need roosters for eggs" comment I ask the person if they have thought it through? Do factory farms have roosters running around the isles?

We live in the country and hubby works in the city 1 and half hours away. He works in an industrial estate so sells lots of our eggs to the other guys at the other businesses there. There is one fellow who is either Polish or Romanian can't remember which but he got an aracuana egg in his carton one day and the next day he stormed over to hubby at work wanting to know why he had an off egg in his carton. No way could dh convince him they were fine to eat. He thought they would be green and off inside. Another time we didn't have enough eggs for dh to sell for the week so he offered some of them ducks eggs. They were all convinced the you can't eat duck eggs. Lucky he didn't offer any of the turkey ones instead lol.

Quote:
erm... gotta ask... why were you taking a rooster to church?

Lady at church needed a roo and I had a spare.
hu.gif
big_smile.png

There were a few old biddies shaking their heads and muttering about bringing a chicken in the church....I said, "He is one of God's creatures!"
lol.png

Ive gotten the fertile eggs are healthier. lady at market over the summer always asked if the eggs i was selling were fertile she only wanted fertile. on the other hand i have to tell my mom they are not fertile because she doesnt want to eat the semen or whatever she thinks is in there. she is none the wiser. i have also gotten the why do you dye some of the eggs(the ones from my EEs)
the smell
the lice
they will peck your eyes out
they will not lay without a rooster
they lay everyday
they only need a small cage
all roosters are mean
the list goes on and on

I have gotten most of those listed above.. But my husband's neice (51yrs old..) asked. What is wrong w/ your eggs? I said --nothing , why? She said "why are they brown!" I said they are from brown egg layers... TO which she replied " I have never in all my life see brown eggs.. She swears she had never seen brown eggs in the groc store....

She is 51, has three children and is a RN!

Quote:
The corn will only add fat if you're feeding too much of it. Most chicken feed is corn based already, but it's blended in the appropriate amounts with the other ingredients so that the bird gets the right amounts of protein, carbohydrates, fats, vitamins, and minerals. If you're feeding a typical 16% or thereabouts layer ration there is no need for anything else. If you just have to feed scratch, treats, etc. do so in small amounts per bird per day.

But if you're feeding higher protein feeds you can safely feed larger amounts of whole grains (scratch) because the feeds are balanced for it. I feed a 20% protein general purpose poultry feed and hang a tube feeder of grain comprised mostly of whole corn alongside it. The birds typically eat about 60% whole grain and 40% high protein ration and do well.

ANY grain can make your birds fat if you feed too much of it. Feed in the appropriate amounts though and they'll do fine.

Back
Top Bottom