Chicken Prison

ChickiMama15

In the Brooder
May 4, 2018
This was the very first project I have ever done on my own. My husband was out of town for work for a few months when we had a nice little fox family constantly visiting the yard. I had a freak out moment and bought 2 dog runs and Lowes and put them together. There is fencing around the perimeter and over the top. There is hard wire 2 ft high around the base as well. There is only one coop in the 200 sq ft run now. While this space is secure for my girls, the enclosure gives me anxiety every time it storms with lightning. Their space is not in the open, there are 100 year old pines that nearly reach the sky near it. I know the chance of lightning hitting them is slim but it's in the back of my mind. My family has now called it Chicken Prison, or Chicken Penitentiary. :hmm That is okay because I know when my girls are in 'lock up' they are 100% safe.
My girls get their free time in the yard everyday even on our busiest days we try to get them out for at least 2 hrs of yard time.

Attachments

• 20170430_174126.jpg
    20170430_174126.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 47
That doesn’t look like a prison to me And the very most important part is that your hens are safe. Any run that keeps the chicken safe warm and healthy that has a Knouff space sounds like a good one to me. Plus you should see the amount of trees that line the back of my run. It’s a little insane

Oh and by the way :welcome Welcome. If you’re crazy about your chickens you’ll be glad you’re here. Great people here with lots of knowledge. Wonderful place to get advice and give advice and a great place for just plain chicken fun

One suggestion I Would make just from having predator experience is around the run to dig a skirt. Trench down and either put welded wire fabric or you can use w would make just from having predator experience is around the run to dig a skirt. Trench down and either put welded wire fabric or you can use wood. Are used to by sixes but I know most people use welded wire fabric. That way no one I can dig their way in

This was the very first project I have ever done on my own. My husband was out of town for work for a few months when we had a nice little fox family constantly visiting the yard. I had a freak out moment and bought 2 dog runs and Lowes and put them together. There is fencing around the perimeter and over the top. There is hard wire 2 ft high around the base as well. There is only one coop in the 200 sq ft run now. While this space is secure for my girls, the enclosure gives me anxiety every time it storms with lightning. Their space is not in the open, there are 100 year old pines that nearly reach the sky near it. I know the chance of lightning hitting them is slim but it's in the back of my mind. My family has now called it Chicken Prison, or Chicken Penitentiary. :hmm That is okay because I know when my girls are in 'lock up' they are 100% safe.
My girls get their free time in the yard everyday even on our busiest days we try to get them out for at least 2 hrs of yard time.

The fence around the perimeter is attached to the run so it cannot be pulled out. I did go a little crazy in securing it but I didn't want no fox getting under. It's also lined with bricks. This year I added more dirt and planted hostas around the front run. We are going to move the other run over a bit and then add more hostas to it. Plus some little solar lights. Being close to other houses there seems to always be a light on teh coop so I think that helps with predators at night.

Being Close to the house I’m sure does help. Ours aren’t that close. The only reason I say that is because I had a raccoon somehow be able to get there a little arm under there and grab the chicken and put them through. One of them he couldn’t get the whole chicken through and ripped off its leg. It’s the only chicken loss I’ve ever experienced and then I vowed to never experience that again. It’s very sad . But if I were you I would be proud of what you’ve built

The fence around the perimeter is attached to the run so it cannot be pulled out. I did go a little crazy in securing it but I didn't want no fox getting under. It's also lined with bricks.
They can dig under bricks and the bottom of the kennel.
Anti-dig aprons:
Good examples of apron installation, tho I'd not recommend 1/2" HC...go with 14ga 1x2 or 1x1, will hold up much longer and is easier to lay flat.
http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1110498/wire-around-coop#post_17093528
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/new-coop-project.1169916/page-2#post-18481208

Back
Top Bottom