Chicken Rescue!!!

hugs.gif

Thank you so much Miyashi for posting this! I have had trouble as it is not only with past rescue, but with our new girl. People think it's funny to either joke on them looking good on a dinner plate, or that this is not a worthy cause.

I only have this to say-
We ask for no donations. We take care of these chickens with our own money, even if it's difficult. It is because we love them and know they can provide just as much affection and joy as a dog or cat. Voting for us to get the $5,000 grant is free, and if we don't make it then there will be some other animal-related group that will. We aren't asking people to make a big leap. This grant would provide us with a brand new coop system that would provide a beautiful home for our rescues, and our older chickens.

Also, there are MANY human rights organizatons out there, and some are not very honest. Some make the money, and you never see where it goes. But how many chicken rescues do you see? Let alone how many that do not ask for help unless its a simple vote, or to support us by following our story?

Henny Penny was attacked severely by a dog last week, and the pictures I have at the moment don't do it justice. I was there when she first came in and I was rubbing her comb as they cleaned her. She was isolated for nearly 6 days when we finally were told to bring her home. And it wasn't because she was healthy- they needed the room. She is still fighting the puncture wounds, missing feathers and meat, and the chances of a broken egg or possibly getting an infection. They were even worried that the puncture wounds could have internally hurt her.

She has pulled through a week and one day so far. She has a water antibiotic, and a water electrolyte mix in case she slips back in progress. I bought this, and her feed. Almost $30. The shelter was kind enough to provide the antibiotic spray for her wounds and the cleansing wipes, an air crate to keep her in, and a carrier I took her down there with. Of course I will return the crate and carrier once they are no longer needed.

This money would not only help us continue to rescue, but would make it where roosters are seperated and aren't able to get at eachother to fight. They'd have their own seperate rooms to go into at night. There would be an isolation area for any chickens with certain needs which require them to be seperated, or for any mom and chicks that may be brought in.

I know that it doesn't seem like much, but meet Henny Penny. Meet Pickles. See it in their faces now. Pickles wanted nothing to do with me when I first held him, and now that spoiled baby thinks he IS a person. Henny Penny was lethargic and wouldn't even eat. Now she talks to you, is eating and drinking well, and she is healing.

Sorry for the long reply...but thank you to anyone who helps and supports our family's cause.

Last edited:
DO NOT apoligize!!! you are a great person for doing this and are to be commended for your efforts! i will vote every day for you. please keep us posted, and as I have said, if you ever need anything on the east side of the U.S. you just let me know.

hugs.gif

thumbsup.gif
thumbsup.gif
thumbsup.gif

Thank you, yet again, for all the support. She has a FB page now so when I post my next update I will include it. I'm having a chicken diaper made so that little Pickles can start traveling with me to do presentations.
smile.png

The most I can ask for is just to keep up the votes. If you drink Pepsi- enter the power vote codes. Even if you don't, people you know can save them for you. My mom's friend saved up about eight for me and upon entering them, it knocked me from #36 to #22!
And we have pages for Pickles and Henny Penny as said, and it's inspiring to see that someone new is following it or suggesting the page. It makes us happy to see how many people are concerned for them, and are supporting us.

It's a small thing. But I used to know a lady that would always sign her emails with, "Saving a dog's life might not change the world, but it will change the world for that one dog." I feel the same for the chickens.
smile.png

You guys rock! Totally! Sorry I'm not in the U.S.A. or I would've voted too. Think it's a great idea.
Am awaiting delivery of 40 ex battery hens (x bats). Would've got more if I could afford. Want to rehabilitate them and let them free range on our smallholding. Have a bit of a life instead of going to the pot. My chickens have a wonderful life and I don't slaughter them. I don't eat chicken at all. And if I have to sell roosters I always try (and luckily often succeed) in finding them good homes.
I've wanted to do this x bat rehab for so long, I can't wait for them to come!!
Anyone want to join me?

You could do it over there and I could do it over here and we can keep each other posted. Shared joy is double joy:)
I bought 40 hens who were destined for the batteries, they were already in the cages when we went to collect them. My heart was in bits when I left, because I couldn't help more of them:( They were horribly expensive and we couldn't afford more. We then had a 250 mile journey home with them, in a car! They were so cool about it. Kept making this sweet little sounds when I talked to them. We got home after dark and put them into their new house where they all crammed into a corner, it took them weeks to start roosting on the perches we provided. The first few days were amazing. At first they wouldn't come outside... Then they discovered sunlight! Eventually I tempted them out into the pasture where they discovered green things to eat and endless space to run and fly. It was a great experience and I can't wait to give more hens that opportunity.
My "old girls" are now supplying a few devoted fans with fresh free range eggs. Happy hens, happy customers, happy me:)
I had contacts for battery farms via word of mouth, but I'd suggest you try a shop that sells eggs, ask who supplies them, contact the farm and ask for "spent" hens. Don't get upset when they tell you the hens are ready for culling. They don't think like we think:/
I'll let you know when I get my girls. I can't wait!
barnie.gif

I wish I could find some battery hens in Northern Michigan....but those all seem to be a bit far from me....I should look into it more, really.
ShelterGirl, thanks for telling everyone the big picture, I know I didn't do a very good job of that.
sad.png

I'm gonna go to the store here in a few and search for some yellow caps. Oboy! (I know, that's cheating)
I can't believe people would make jokes about her and dinner plates! Or any animal in need and those kinds of jokes, that's just blegh!
Chickens make wonderful friends....people really need to figure that out...

smile.png
Hey! Rose and I have picked up some discards from the strangest places. We love to take in the well defined birds to add to our 'junk' coop.

There is one thing tho, we added a coupla bad birds to a bunch of 10 we hand raised. They all got the infection from the incoming birds, and have the cough and runny noses. The total had been 17 birds with the 5 from a farm, all beak tipped. Well 5 died and 2 are symptom free, separated, non-layers, going to be processed and frozen for future use. As I see it the rest of the flock is doomed, and must be removed to prevent contamination of about 50 birds in the other tractors.
sad.png

It is really hard to keep your head in this, as we lost 10 birds to fox and racoon predation early on. We have two Yardbirds that are Speckled Sussex, that are comical and freindly, seeking us out at dusk to be put in a dog cage, in a yardbarn for safe overnight keeping. Otherwise they range several hundred feet all day visiting the neighbors and orbiting back home. They are give aways also, nearly full grown when we go them.

We have a Bantom white (?) That just started crowing. He is agressive when we enter the coop, feisty little buggar. We gave away a White silkie that came in on that batch of birds. She was a mess, much smaller than the others, they stand on her and buryied her in a night pile for warmth. I gave her a Bath and sent her to the lady that bought my smallest coop, she sent back a rooster , and has several other birds and 2 rabbits. She really enjoys the now much healthier and happy, silkie that she says is the most engaging personality she has ever had. (Thats a silkie for ya.)

A rescue attitude survives here, but finding a motive to keep non producing birds is very hard, with the foundation of providing meat and eggs, is a cost concious and very hard line on paper. Housing and food cost money to obtain and upkeep. I am magical when it comes to building working housing for very little money, but it is still not free.

I can wee where people can get in too deep with their 'hobby' without an eye to income.

Back
Top Bottom