Chicken Rescue!!!

Quote:
I have turned my hobby into a business. I feed 59 chickens and I feed them well. I need 10 eggs a day to cover their food cost, I get between 20 and 30 eggs per day, most of which I sell. Starting up cost a bomb, as did buying in layers to get this story going properly, but I'm close to showing profit, finally. I've made mistakes feeding wise, overfeeding etc, but after a few weeks I got it sorted, I figured out how to get the best out of my business and now I'm going to combine a chicken rescue and a business expansion, so I'm getting the best of both.
You must sit and work out how your chickens can help you help them. It's possible.
Tip: buy feed in bulk, it works out way cheaper.

Quote:
I agree. And as long as you don't get caught it's not cheating:D

=O That's terribly interesting Miyashi! Hah!

As for the suggestions of making sure you calculate how the chickens can cover the costs for their expenses- that's what I would like to do once the land, hopefully, becomes mine. I can't make the calls yet =/

You'd be amazed at all the ideas and dreams plotted in my head. I've thought so much of it out already. I have the idea for the coop design already in my brain. The hard part will be making it come to life, but we can get it done.
smile.png

Oh and as a heads up the Pepsi website is being a bit messy currently. I haven't been able to vote today or enter my power vote codes. Boo.

I rescued a chick today.
Let me start at the beginning. A friend (more a chicken buddy) of mine brought me two new chicks this morning. Caught me on the hop as I was only supposed to get them in about two weeks time! He had to drive me to the shops to get a infra red lamp etc as I wasn't prepared and my car committed suicide again... I mentioned that I need to pick up a bag of chicken food as well and he offered some of a recent windfall he got from some farmer. Gave me two big bags full of dried corn on the cob which I'm grinding up now in an old fashioned meat grinder (manual!) for my de-beaked layers. You should see my blisters!
Anyway, at his place I wanted to say hi to all the chicks, he has 3 hens with about a dozen chicks each. I noticed that with the oldest batch (4 weeks old) one chick wasn't looking so great. He said the chick's been like this for a week!!! The poor thing was smaller than it's brothers and sisters already. Asked me if I wanted it and of course I said yes.
I've been feeding and pampering the poor little thing all day, in between grinding food, and she's looking better, but still not great. I phoned a vet buddy who said she's got an infection in her airways or something and after trying to talk me into it, offered to come give her an antibiotic injection tomorrow.
It's been a crazy day, but I'm relieved that we can help the little thing, grateful for the free food, extremely grateful that I have a qualified vet willing to assist me free of charge and annoyed with my buddy for not helping the little thing. She's so thin already and squealed when I showed her the water bowl. She was so thirsty and hungry! She ate and drank and pooped all day.
But don't worry. He's coming over tomorrow to get a pricelist for some chickens he's after and I'll have a chat with him.
By the way, I envy you guys. We've finally found a breeder of Rhode Island Reds and White RIR's, which are so scarce here I've never seen one of either in the flesh! I nearly had a heart attack when I saw the prices. I could cook 5 budget dinners for the price of one day old chick. Actually, it's the same price I paid for my point of lay hens! And those chicks are unsexed...
Crazy:eek:
How's the voting going?

My computer is being silly and won't let me get to my email to register to vote. I have the code from a 12 packs of pepsi if someone would like to enter it though. It's e7bcrxb9cl. Have another one, but can't read it very well, I think it's x6njxelb4h, but they messed up printing it so not sure if that's right.

Has anyone entered the codes yet that awesome JulieNKC gave?
smile.png

sumi- Congrats on your rescue baby! PM me and keep me posted on the progress there. Poor chick, I hope that it gets to feeling better soon. And THANK YOU for stepping up and taking care of the squirt. Much appreciation to the free services as well.
Voting is okay, I fell to 28th =/ But I am still looking forward. I have half a month to pick it up yknow? The more Pepsi I drink the better! Though I am normally a Coke person...blech

I just got back from the store with a few bottles...sadly, no Cherry Pepsi has red caps!
Ah well, I will drink the poo normal Pepsi for the cause!
xD
I sound so selfless....that was sarcasm.
I'll try entering her code right now, in the event that no one else has tried.

Back
Top Bottom