chicken run ideas please, what materials etc!!

Mk_lanch

Songster
6 Years
Sep 20, 2017
Hi, i've not long brought my smallholding property and have a large 2 acre field.
i would like to build a number of runs next to each other so i can keep my breeding pens organised. i don't want these runs/pens to be too small. there would be a maximum of 5 hens to 1 rooster in each cage (although its more likely i would have 3 hens to 1 rooster).
i would also like to have their coop within the run, as this keeps them safer at night.
so far measurement wise i was thinking 8ft long x 6ft wide and as i would be adding a door to access the run i would like it to be about 6ft tall.
i will be using mesh not chicken wire and i will be laying this along the bottom for extra protection.
can someone give me some pointers with what type of wood to use etc. (i'm in the uk if that makes any difference)

i already have a large 6m x 6m metal run for my laying hens. so i'm trying to see if it would make more sense to build runs from wood or just buy more metal runs.

thank you

Those plans sound great.

I don't know anything about the availability of building lumber in your area, but if it were me I'd choose wood just because my DH knows a lot about framing carpentry and is familiar with working in wood.

DH would undoubtedly use 4x4 corner posts with 2x4 verticals in between -- the way he build my coop:

0917211627_hdr-jpg.3007281

i already have a large 6m x 6m metal run for my laying hens. so i'm trying to see if it would make more sense to build runs from wood or just buy more metal runs.
Guess it would depend on your building skills.
Cost would have to be calculated, pretty sure the metal runs would be faster and maybe cheaper than building.

What does the metal run look like and how much did it cost?
Are you happy with it?

i will be laying this along the bottom for extra protection.
As an 'apron' on the outside?

Guess it would depend on your building skills.
Cost would have to be calculated, pretty sure the metal runs would be faster and maybe cheaper than building.

What does the metal run look like and how much did it cost?
Are you happy with it?

As an 'apron' on the outside?

my metal run is 6m x 6m, if i buy it now it will cost around £700 (with upgraded mesh)
takes ages to put together though as its all held together with cable ties.
i have ok building skills and with everything i do i'm learning.
yes as an apron.

I made the mistake of making a 10 ft x 10 ft net pen and then dividing it into two sections with a common wall between them Each pen was to hold a rooster and his two or three hens They are practically unusable because the roosters jump at each other trying to fight through the netting. They haven't seriously hurt each other yet, but the other day I found a rooster stuck in the netting and hanging upside down by his spur. That was a good jump.

I visited a Chantecler breeder:
- his breeding pens were in rows of four under a lean-to roof attached to a barn
- open side faced predominately south
- each pen was 4'x4'x6 and housed 4-6 hens plus rooster; wood+hardware cloth construction
- adjacent to an open field; two fenced areas one for hens, one for roosters; not used during Spring mating season.

I made the mistake of making a 10 ft x 10 ft net pen and then dividing it into two sections with a common wall between them Each pen was to hold a rooster and his two or three hens They are practically unusable because the roosters jump at each other trying to fight through the netting. They haven't seriously hurt each other yet, but the other day I found a rooster stuck in the netting and hanging upside down by his spur. That was a good jump.
I could definitely see this happening. I would add a short solid divider between the sections, so the roosters can't have direct view of the adjacent pen because of that.

Back
Top Bottom