Chicken Survey

Wow! Thank you for all the responses! I never thought I could get this many! BYC has so many kind and patient members!

sophiaw00

Are you going to tell everyone the outcome of your survey ?
caf.gif

Yes! Sorry everybody! We've been having a lot of technological issues here and had to get our computer repaired. It feels so good to be back on BYC!

The answers were great and very informative! I loved hearing about how everyone raises their birds, whether for meat, eggs, companionship, or whatever other reason.

There were actually quite a few answers that surprised me. For one, answering "yes" to owning a rooster was actually the top answer and I was under the impression that owning a rooster was uncommon. It turns out that more people that I originally assumed own (or plan to) a rooster. I also got 15 people that said their roosters were only for pet pourposes. That surprises me as well because even I, an avid animal lover, use my rooster for protection for my hens and not necessarily as my pet.

Owning chickens as companionship was the second most used response to their chicken's pourpose, right after fresh eggs.

Another surprising response was that when asked wether to treat or cull after an injury, only a couple replied that they would cull and many even added that they would treat because they love their chickens and they are part of the family. This shows me that there is a very vast (and increasing) number of people who are raising poultry as pets instead of use for food and livestock.

The survey was great and I really enjoyed this project. I got an A on it as well, so thanks to everybody who helped me out. I couldn't have done it without you. My instructor was very surprised at the results as well. He's been raising chickens for meat and eggs for as long as he could remember and had never even heard of owning them as pets until I brought in this survey. He didn't even know people named them! Funny thing is, the next day he brought in a picture of a wheaten marans hen and told me with a smile on his face that she was the first hen he named and that her name was Rachel! I think he looks at his birds differently now!

@sophiaw00 congratulations on getting an A on your project! And how cool that your instructor ended up bringing in a picture of one of his girls.

Good job!
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom