Chicken survived a dog attack

Saris

Crowing
8 Years
Apr 16, 2015
Spokane
I really thought she was dead but when I went to pick her up and wrap her in a towel she moved and is in isolation now, my daughter says she was drug by her wing and bit around her head. She was bleeding but I can't tell where from and I'm afraid to stress her out and look for the wounds. She's walking around, eating and drinking. I'm wondering if I should give her antibiotics in her water now or wait and see if she needs them.. It was my German Shepherd who got at her so is there anything I should look for in the way of internal damage?

This forum gets so few responses, it's sad. Probably because so many of the postings are so depressing. At least that's why I have to make myself come here.

For any animal attacks, assume bacteria has been introduced into any wounds, even superficial scratches. It's a best practice to always immediately start the victim of the attack on antibiotics. Full round, even if they seem to act fine.

For large wounds, clean every day, spray with Vetericyn and keep moist with antibiotic ointment until healed.

Puncture wounds are always considered to be 'dirty' wounds so a thorough flushing with Betadine solution is called for. Iodine salve might be pretty 'stingy' for your injured bird. I would stick with a thorough cleaning with Betadine followed by a triple antibiotic ointment for the open wounds. A round of oral antibiotics as a prophylactic would not be out of order either.

Check for internal injuries or broken bones. Internal injuries would appear a lethargy and shock. You may see swelling and pain, but if there is internal bleeding but if she had anything serious going on, you would be seeing a decline in overall condition. Don't be afraid to 'ruffle her feathers' and check her over really good for skin tears or hidden puncture wounds. Those feathers give them a lot of protection. One of our roosters had a go with one of our dogs one day and the dog came away with two mouth full of feathers. The rooster only had his dignity hurt, but he was lucky.

You might also provide electrolyte water for her for a few days just to counter any residual shock she might have. You should be able to find a powder at your local feed store or veterinarians office to add to her water.

Don't be afraid to feel her all over. Gently! Broken bones will be obvious or sublime. Watch for limping or unwillingness to bear weight on legs, dragging of a wing etc.

Sounds as if your girl came out on the top end of this encounter. Just keep an eye on her and she will probably be fine....and hate dogs for the rest of her life which isn't a bad thing!

HI we had a dog attack today too, he went after every one 11 chicks and 5 hens. Killed one chick and damaged another. He pulled feathers out of 2 more. From what I read it's really important to clean any wounds and make sure they dont get infected. After shock it seems to be infection that kills them after the fact.
Good luck.

I live in Germany should I ask the Vet for antibiotics or just use what we have at home for my son? Obviously considering the weight of chick in comparison to a 12 year old.
I have an iodine ointment is that okay to use?

Sorry to hijack your thread here...
but our wee chick has 2 holes, looks like a skin wound?
I washed her when I brought her in cause she was crawling across the ground using 1 wing and 1 leg. I cleaned the wounds yesterday with Peroxide and this morning it was not bleeding any more and I cleaned it again.
She is making normal poo and eating and drinking. Her wing seems fine just sore I can move it around and it is okay she can move it by herself.

BUT her leg... she is not standing and her toes do not curl around my finger. I have a friend training as a vet and she said she thinks it the thigh that is broke. The chick moves it on her own only to get away from me but when she is resting the leg is sticking out behind her. It feels warm to the touch.

Any suggestions? I feel awful but think it might be better to not keep her going for days if she has a broken leg it must hurt like hell.

Gently check for displaced bones in the thigh, swelling and bruising. The bones could be green stick fractured, displaced with the bones overlapping or even compound with the bone through the skin. Don't try to move the leg too much for her. It will be painful. If the fracture is clean and the bone ends approximated, you could try splinting the leg using padded popsickle sticks and vet wrap. Definitely confine her. It sounds as though she has sustained a serious injury tho if she is not wanting to bear weight of any sort on the leg. I'd ask your vet student friend for help examining and treating her, or with culling if necessary.

Great experience for them.

She is in a laundry basket on the kitchen table (with a towel over). She has no injuries on the outside of her leg. She was balancing on 1 leg just now.
The injuries are on her back under her wing. I put antibacterial cream on her just now.
My friend is coming back tomorrow (it was her dog that did the damage) to visit.
I will ask her to try to check if she can tell where the bones are broke, she looked today that's why she thought it was the thigh.
With out knowing could we just wrap/splint it? Would it help?
Her foot feels a bit cooler than the other not injured one, that concerns me too.
thanks for the help.

I forgot to ask you how old is she?

I would worry about coldness over coolness as long as her toe nails are pink along with her toes. Blue or grey tint means impaired circulation. You could splint. I really don't think it will do any harm and may offer support so it isn't so painful when she moves. Don't tape directly to her feathers or skin, naturally and make sure whatever you use for a splint is well padded.

Poor baby.

Check here on BYC for dosing guides on aspirin and make sure she is getting electrolytes.

Back
Top Bottom