CHICKEN WITH WORMS.. I did not know chicken got worms!!!

Can someone tell me if there is an easy way to treat the entire flock for worms ?
it would appear, per popular opinion, that Albendazole and Fenbendazole is the best choice.
I don't want to have to chase down 35 birds and try to orally force feed them medicine.
I was thinking there may be a way to worm them via their water.

I had a hen go lethargic a week ago. I found her just sitting and not moving around much.
I fed her yogurt and scrambled eggs with some freeze dried meal worms mixed in 2 to 3 times a day for 4 days.
Each day she seemed to get a little stronger and her appetite picked up each day. I still have no idea what was wrong with her.
She is fine now and acting normal. She is a production red thats 1.5 years old.

Yesterday i found another production red hen acting the exact same way.
I immediately picked her up and started feeding her yogurt and meal worms.
Last night i went into the house and found her in a , low to the floor, nest box.
I made her a scrambled egg and mixed it with 2 tsp of plain yogurt and about 50 meal worms.
She ate it like it was her last meal. Very aggressive appetite . When i took her back to the house and sat her on the floor,
she seemed not to want to stand up, like her legs were weak. I read in this thread somewhere that weak legs may be a symptom
of worm infestation.

I found her this morning sitting on the edge of that same nest box.
It would appear that ambulating is difficult for her.

I have also noticed very large areas in the PDZ under their roost board that are like someone poured water on the PDZ.
Areas that are about a 4" circle. Is this another indicator that someone has worms ? I have never seen those types of areas
in their PDZ before and its more than one area, more like 6 to 8 areas like that. I assume its more than 1 bird doing it. These areas
are by no means, normal droppings that i have ever seen.

My egg production is WAY down. Yesterday i got 11 eggs from 30 birds but they are mounting.

So to summarize, do you think these symptoms are in line with a worm infestation and is there a way to treat them all at once in their water ?
Any help is appreciated and thanks in advance.

When I used PDZ on poop boards there would occasionally be some wet poops that would leach out, but it could be condensation on your ceiling dripping down. I thought that my metal roof leaked, but them I would watch in the mornings when there would be dripping just as the temperature was warming.
As far as wormers go, there is one that I have used in the water for a large flock when I had up to 80 birds. It was Wormout Gel, available online. It works, but special care must be taken to get it mixed well, and it has to be used for 2 days in a row. It tastes like orange, and I never knew if they drank enough or not. Wormout gel is praziquantel and oxbendazole, and will kill most worms. Here are 2 places that sell it, and I found that the 8 ounce size was the best price and size for my needs.
http://www.foyspigeonsupplies.com/medications/worms-wormers/36-vetafarms-wormout-gel-100ml-cc
http://www.jedds.com/shop/wormout-gel-vetafarm/

Today i gave her 1/4 cc of safeguard goat dewormer that i bought from a local feed store.
I also fed her another scrambled egg with yogurt and meal worms.
I will update this thread with the progress.
If i understand correctly, i need to redone her in 10 days.
Her appetite is still aggressive as she eats all that i give her.
She just seems to still have weak legs.
Hope the dewormer works and thats actually what the problem is.

Yes it is a bit pricey, but when I had so many birds, I just couldn't worm each one twice with Valbazen. Now I have fewer birds which are a little easier to manage.

Yes it is a bit pricey, but when I had so many birds, I just couldn't worm each one twice with Valbazen. Now I have fewer birds which are a little easier to manage.
Glad you posted about it... it's got me thinking that maybe I should try it since one liter of it isn't much more than a liter of Valbazen or Safeguard.
big_smile.png

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom