Pics
so uhhhh......... I don't think shes any better.
she layed a soft egg and is still standing with her back high up.
I think I should post in the emergencies threads.
Definitely post in the Emergency forum. :hugs Those folks are good at figuring out what's wrong. :hugs

So @TwoCrows suggested a calcium supplement, and I would agree, because it won't hurt her in the short term and might help. I give two hens here calcium citrate which is more readily absorbable than calcium carbonate and it helps their eggshells. Since not everyone needs the calcium boost I give it in pill form so I know who is getting what and how much. Liquid calcium, in it's own special waterer, would be easier and I'd try, if I thought more hens needed it.

I bought Calcium Citrate caplets, 2 of them give 400mg. I cut them in half because it's then more easily eaten, so each hen gets four halves. You can try putting peanut butter on them and if she likes that, she will just pick them up and gulp them down, no problem. For the first couple of days I gave it to them daily, now I will give it to them every other day. You should know within a few days - 2-4 eggs, whether it's helping or not.

One of my hens doesn't like peanut butter (she also doesn't care for raw sunflower seeds) but she loves walnuts, so I pound a few into butter / meal in a pestle, moisten it with a little yogurt, and make a paste. I have also bought calcium in powder form and mixed it with greek yogurt, and she likes that, if you can be sure what & how much she is eating that would work.

So @TwoCrows suggested a calcium supplement, and I would agree, because it won't hurt her in the short term and might help. I give two hens here calcium citrate which is more readily absorbable than calcium carbonate and it helps their eggshells. Since not everyone needs the calcium boost I give it in pill form so I know who is getting what and how much. Liquid calcium, in it's own special waterer, would be easier and I'd try, if I thought more hens needed it.

I bought Calcium Citrate caplets, 2 of them give 400mg. I cut them in half because it's then more easily eaten, so each hen gets four halves. You can try putting peanut butter on them and if she likes that, she will just pick them up and gulp them down, no problem. For the first couple of days I gave it to them daily, now I will give it to them every other day. You should know within a few days - 2-4 eggs, whether it's helping or not.

One of my hens doesn't like peanut butter (she also doesn't care for raw sunflower seeds) but she loves walnuts, so I pound a few into butter / meal in a pestle, moisten it with a little yogurt, and make a paste. I have also bought calcium in powder form and mixed it with greek yogurt, and she likes that, if you can be sure what & how much she is eating that would work.
Thank you!

so I think because Victoria died she is sad. she just wants to be with me and not her flock.
she ate and drank and act normal with me, but when i put her outside she was lazy and did not eat dinner.
Was Victoria her best buddy? Chickens definitely make friendships and bond with other chickens, and grieve when one dies. Even those not "best friends" with a member of a group that dies will be "off" for some days after. At the very least the absence changes the dynamics within the flock and everyone has to adjust, and those who hung out together will feel really "out of sorts" for a time.

I've seen this happen. This summer, when both the lead hen and then a few months later the third in order died, the former second in command became leader. But both her main companions were gone. I saw her grieve greatly when her lead hen died, and then when the third hen died there was quite a change and she really looked lonely, kind of wandering around.

She was very close with the lead hen and buddies with the third hen. She now is left with the fourth hen in line, and they were never close, but now they rest and preen together, as they are the oldest in the flock and most familiar with each other. It's taken a few months for her to adjust and to appear to be more settled.

Was Victoria her best buddy? Chickens definitely make friendships and bond with other chickens, and grieve when one dies. Even those not "best friends" with a member of a group that dies will be "off" for some days after. At the very least the absence changes the dynamics within the flock and everyone has to adjust, and those who hung out together will feel really "out of sorts" for a time.

I've seen this happen. This summer, when both the lead hen and then a few months later the third in order died, the former second in command became leader. But both her main companions were gone. I saw her grieve greatly when her lead hen died, and then when the third hen died there was quite a change and she really looked lonely, kind of wandering around.

She was very close with the lead hen and buddies with the third hen. She now is left with the fourth hen in line, and they were never close, but now they rest and preen together, as they are the oldest in the flock and most familiar with each other. It's taken a few months for her to adjust and to appear to be more settled.
yes they were best friends. she was down there trying to help her in her last moments and she called me and I did not hear her because I was in the front yard.
She finally gave up after she watched her die and went to bed.
I really think she is just sad.
She knows and thinks I'm the next best friend and mother. ( and I am)
:hugs

Last edited:
so I think because Victoria died she is sad. she just wants to be with me and not her flock.
she ate and drank and act normal with me, but when i put her outside she was lazy and did not eat dinner.
They definitely mourn their buddies, and the mourning period can last quite a long time. I had a hen go 3 months after the loss of her sister...., depressed, refused to free range, she stayed on the roost bar all day, stopped eating, laying, went silent (she talked constantly) she would stand in the darkened run at night and let out these pitiful crying noises calling her sister. Oh and when I turned out the lights at bedtime she had panic attacks. She nearly pined completely away. She got over the loss eventually but it took every day of 3 months. It was pretty sad.

Spend a lot of time with her, free range with her, sit with her, hand feed her, try to take her mind off the loss. :hugs

Back
Top Bottom