They definitely mourn their buddies, and the mourning period can last quite a long time. I had a hen go 3 months after the loss of her sister...., depressed, refused to free range, she stayed on the roost bar all day, stopped eating, laying, went silent (she talked constantly) she would stand in the darkened run at night and let out these pitiful crying noises calling her sister. Oh and when I turned out the lights at bedtime she had panic attacks. She nearly pined completely away. She got over the loss eventually but it took every day of 3 months. It was pretty sad.

Spend a lot of time with her, free range with her, sit with her, hand feed her, try to take her mind off the loss. :hugs
Thank you so very much!

So Petra has a problem. The rooster loves her.
I got saddles and they were to small, so I'm waiting for the other ones to come. These Wyandottes are so big non of the saddles fit them.
Is there anything I can treat her wound with while I wait for the saddles to come?
It goes deeper under her wing.
PXL_20240226_213006969.jpg

So Petra has a problem. The rooster loves her.
I got saddles and they were to small, so I'm waiting for the other ones to come. These Wyandottes are so big non of the saddles fit them.
Is there anything I can treat her wound with while I wait for the saddles to come?
It goes deeper under her wing.
View attachment 3758141

I'd definitely keep her away from the boys and maybe the hens too of they are bothering her. Do you have any Vetercyn you can spray on her? Other topical antibiotics will help too. I had a similar situation years ago and didn't have saddles either. So I put the girl in a crop bra, loosely, and attached a big scarf to it to cover up her back by her tail, sort of tied it around the tail too to keep it covered back there at the tail base. It didn't always stay put, but usually it did. I wouldn't use any blukote, it's very drying and will make the skin tight and uncomfortable. I only use blukote on very small patches.

I'd definitely keep her away from the boys and maybe the hens too of they are bothering her. Do you have any Vetercyn you can spray on her? Other topical antibiotics will help too. I had a similar situation years ago and didn't have saddles either. So I put the girl in a crop bra, loosely, and attached a big scarf to it to cover up her back by her tail, sort of tied it around the tail too to keep it covered back there at the tail base. It didn't always stay put, but usually it did. I wouldn't use any blukote, it's very drying and will make the skin tight and uncomfortable. I only use blukote on very small patches.
Thank you! I have Vetercyn spray, so I will put that on her.
Its just one boy, he is a teenager rooster.

Back
Top Bottom