Chickens Galore in Norco, Ca

AV is NPIP, (I don't think Galore has that designation) and they may be hatching some varieties on site, but not what I purchased the last two times round. Do you incubate? If so, I could help you out with where to get some good eggs for hatching, and whom to avoid. I am so sorry to hear about the Mareks on your property. Chickens Galore used to state on their advertising that their chicks were both vaccinated and on medicated feed. As far as I know, the one negates the other and that was a red flag to me, indicating that they did not exactly know what they were doing.

Thank you for your kind message! We've never tried incubating eggs and have no set up for it. I would also feel bad hatching chicks that would likely die in a few months from Marek's. We're not allowed to have roosters where we live (although neighbors do and no one we've asked minds). We raised two until they started crowing and have one now, but with Marek's our chickens rarely ever lay, despite everything we've tried. So I don't think we'll ever have fertilized eggs. Another reason to discourage folks from buying from Chickens Galore--Marek's decreases egg production, so you'll end up with chickens as pets without the benefits of eggs. Have you ever tried Dare2Dream hatchery (https://www.dare2dreamfarms.com/delivery)? We won't get chicks again for at least a year, but their website looks nice.

If you got vaccinated chicks, or hatched them and vaccinated them yourself wouldn't the fact that Marek's had been introduced to your property be unimportant because of the vaccine protection? I don't know much about it, even though I have lot of birds and hatch for our feed store all the time. Lots of folks out where I am want to forego vaccination for some kind of organic (for lack of a better word) reasons, but it sounds like it would be a must in your situation. I do feel bad for you, and since we are both in SoCal, I'd like to help, if I can. Incubating eggs is so much fun, you might become a hatchaholic-happened to me.

I've been thinking about that too after I responded to your message. Vaccinated birds wouldn't ever get Marek's, so it wouldn't be a problem, I'm guessing. Can I send you a private message in the spring when the weather is warmer to talk about incubating eggs? My kids' school did it, so I imagine it wouldn't be too difficult. "Hatchaholic" I love that! What breeds of chickens do you raise?

Yes, please send me a message. I would have sent you one already, but I seem to always screw it up on this forum and it does not go through properly. I raise Cream Legbar, Olive Eggers, Frizzled Olive Eggers and Exchequer Leghorns from my own flock as well as barnyard mix, of course. My green layers are sex link projects I have a lot of fun playing around with and I almost always have a pen or two of other breeds from hatcheries or purchased eggs that I grow out to started pullet or point of lay for the store. I pretty much hatch all year round.

Gosh, I bought chicks from him years ago! They were all beautiful and lived long lives . I still have a California White that lays occasionally.

AV is NPIP, (I don't think Galore has that designation) and they may be hatching some varieties on site, but not what I purchased the last two times round. Do you incubate? If so, I could help you out with where to get some good eggs for hatching, and whom to avoid. I am so sorry to hear about the Mareks on your property. Chickens Galore used to state on their advertising that their chicks were both vaccinated and on medicated feed. As far as I know, the one negates the other and that was a red flag to me, indicating that they did not exactly know what they were doing.
I know this is an old thread but in case others read it still, as I am obviously,there is abundant misinformation here! 1st, medicated feed is for cocci. 2nd if u have mareks on your property vaccine does NOT prevent the disease. They won’t USUALLY get the tumors or whatever it is unless the bird becomes compromised say from parasites or something else. All my bird vaccinated by me or hatchery. I have lost quite a few over the years and even the old ones have marek s when they do the necropsy at UC Davis. I have not lost newbies in years til this year. It is always there and always will be unless u get rid of flock and wait quite a few years. So you can’t really sell your chicks to anyone and certainly not without letting them know. I bought a couple pullets from someone I shouldn’t so I know where I got it. My fault. Def put a damper on my chicken experience. I tried to do everything right. Super clean everything. But my flock will always have it. I hope this can help others out.

Last edited:
Yes, please send me a message. I would have sent you one already, but I seem to always screw it up on this forum and it does not go through properly. I raise Cream Legbar, Olive Eggers, Frizzled Olive Eggers and Exchequer Leghorns from my own flock as well as barnyard mix, of course. My green layers are sex link projects I have a lot of fun playing around with and I almost always have a pen or two of other breeds from hatcheries or purchased eggs that I grow out to started pullet or point of lay for the store. I pretty much hatch all year round.
Also I have never ever had an egg laying issue due to mareks. My girls all lay prolifically. Occasionally I get one from a hatchery that has issues. Usually genetic. I use ideal normally for chicks and have gotten eggs from eBay and local breeders.

Gosh, I bought chicks from him years ago! They were all beautiful and lived long lives . I still have a California White that lays occasionally.

The ones we bought 7+ years ago from Chickens Galore were healthy, extremely sweet, and lived long lives. But his flock must have gotten Mareks a few years ago. Check out his Yelp reviews. *Lots* of people complaining about Mareks-infected chickens from this breeder, unfortunately.

Hey guys!

Has anyone visited or purchased birds from Chickens Galore in Norco, Ca? I'm interested in getting some standard and specialty breed layer chicks (welsummer, gold laced wyandotte, easter eggers, ameraucanas, blue/lavender orpingtons, anaconas, silkies, blue hamburg, & blue andalusians). I don't necessarily want all of those breeds but, a few would do.

Also, I am super open to purchasing these pullets from any other reputable, recommended breeder within the oc, los angeles, and san bernardino county areas (I live in Upland, Ca right now).

Any information is good information!
I bought my chickens there and have had no problem other than 2 of my polish chicks were roosters that I gladly passed on to others. Nice variety and very helpful but that was pre covid. Plan to return there soon

Back
Top Bottom