Chickens in Glendale, AZ - We're on the right track!

Brienne

Chirping
6 Years
Apr 9, 2013
I decided to start a new thread because previous posts were attached to older strings.
Many people have previously posted about wanting chickens in Glendale, AZ but have been frustrated when they were told they couldn't keep them (at least in single residence zones). If those Glendale residents are still interested, we could use your help!
I attended a city planning and zoning meeting and then met with Jon Froke from planning. He said he needs to see that this is of interest. At this point he's heard from me, and well, in his defense, that's not enough to require a change. Please let me know if you are interested in getting involved so that we can have chickens in Glendale. Myself and another member want to set up a time to meet and lay out a game plan - if you'd like to be included let me know.
Also, I know Chandler is on the verge of getting ok'd to have chickens. If someone from Chandler could please keep me updated, that would really help. Anything to show that chickens as pets is a trend that's on the rise.
Any other suggestions people have would be greatly appreciated!

So a couple of us got together for Glendale and came up with a few tasks for whoever wants to help out in the start to get chickens in Glendale:
1. We are finalizing a letter for residents t mail to the zoning commision - pleas keep checking in sowe can flood the office with people interested in having chickens.
2. Looking up Single residential zones in other AZ cities so we can see that Glendale is one of the few not allowing chickens.
3. Working with local feed stores to see if they will allow us to post information (petitions and such).

Let me know if or where you're interested in helping out.
Thanks,
Brienne

Would you want to type up a petition that we could put in any of the feed stores? Maybe just along the lines of Sign this if you support being able to own chickens as pets in Glendale?
Let me know. There's always Stock Shop on 67th and Thunderbird as well.
Brienne

Hi.

Just got an earful from my neighbor regarding chickens and backyard vegetable garden. I live in a R1-6 subdivision near 63rd Ave and Bell Road.

She told me chickens and vegetable gardens, as well as other food producing plants are against city ordinance in our area. I do have a mature Navel Orange tree which was here when I moved in 13 years ago.

My dog's poop smells worse then my chickens and my garden smells the worst since I use steer manure on it and not chemical fertilizers.

What should I do about this? She said she will be contacting the city and filing a complaint.

She also complained about my dog barking, which he rarely does. She doesn't work and her boy friend has to get up at 4am to go to work and the dog barking wakes him up at night. She somehow forced the neighbor behind her to get rid of their dogs.

Thanks,
Mark S

Hi.

Just got an earful from my neighbor regarding chickens and backyard vegetable garden. I live in a R1-6 subdivision near 63rd Ave and Bell Road.

She told me chickens and vegetable gardens, as well as other food producing plants are against city ordinance in our area. I do have a mature Navel Orange tree which was here when I moved in 13 years ago.

My dog's poop smells worse then my chickens and my garden smells the worst since I use steer manure on it and not chemical fertilizers.

What should I do about this? She said she will be contacting the city and filing a complaint.

She also complained about my dog barking, which he rarely does. She doesn't work and her boy friend has to get up at 4am to go to work and the dog barking wakes him up at night. She somehow forced the neighbor behind her to get rid of their dogs.

Thanks,
Mark S
Get a copy of the zoning code for your zone, and be absolutely sure that you know the correct zone. Also, look through city ordinances relating to animals, pets, poultry, chickens, barking dogs, etc. If you are following code, then keep a copy and highlight the pertinent parts so you can show them to her. If you are not following code, apply for a variance or work to change the code.

I sincerely doubt that she is even close to being correct about vegetable gardens or food bearing plants. She MAY be correct about growing food COMMERCIALLY. If your dog rarely barks at night, then simply tell her it was not your dog, that he was sleeping peacefully in his crate/on the foot of your bed, or wherever he was. But be sure that your dog is indeed not barking, with you sleeping through it.

I know there are parts of the west valley where you can have chickens so long as there are no complaints; I just do not know for your specific area.

I only have three chickens. Since they started laying and I have been eating their eggs, I have felt much better and haven't been sick with sinus issues or stomach issues. Store bought eggs make my sinuses act up.

My dog does bark sometimes, but rarely wakes me up. He has a doggy door so he can go outside and take care of business at night. I installed double pane windows on my house and outside noises are greatly squelched in my house. I guess her BF goes to bed around 8 and needs absolute peace and quiet as he is a very light sleeper. They had two dogs but gave them up because they were noisy.

She said she had an orange tree but was forced to uproot it when she added on a covered patio. The zoning inspector for the City of Glendale said that food bearing plants are no longer allowed in residential areas and when you do a remodel that requires an inspection, you will be forced to remove the plant(s).

The explanation given to her was food safety, rodents and pests attracted to the food bearing plants and water conservation.

She doesn't work and is retired, so I am sure her mind is working overtime to figure out how to make others' lives miserable.

Last edited:
She's got you on the chickens - at least for those (especially if they can peep over the fence and see them) you'll get a notice. I can't help you on the other two issues she has. We are slowly but surely trying to change the chicken laws/codes to allow them in residential Glendale. The garden thing at least sounds absurd.
Good luck and let me know if you want to get involved in helping to get chickens in Glendale.
Brienne

I do want chickens in Glendale. I can't eat the store bought eggs since they are laden with hormones and antibiotics and I get serious sinus issues when eating store bought or restaurant eggs. I haven't had any issues with the eggs my ladies lay.
Your information is incorrect. It is illegal to feed hormones to chickens, and antibiotics have a pretty significant required withdrawal time. With most commercial egg farms, it is cheaper to cull an ill bird than to separate it and give antibiotics util it recovers.

Chances are it is normal feed ingredients (corn and soy being the most common offenders) that cause your sinus issues. You might try looking at farmer's markets, or ask in the Arizona thread for someone who sells eggs that are on a non-corn, non-soy diet.

Back
Top Bottom