Chickens in Glendale, AZ - We're on the right track!

Brienne

Chirping
6 Years
Apr 9, 2013
I decided to start a new thread because previous posts were attached to older strings.
Many people have previously posted about wanting chickens in Glendale, AZ but have been frustrated when they were told they couldn't keep them (at least in single residence zones). If those Glendale residents are still interested, we could use your help!
I attended a city planning and zoning meeting and then met with Jon Froke from planning. He said he needs to see that this is of interest. At this point he's heard from me, and well, in his defense, that's not enough to require a change. Please let me know if you are interested in getting involved so that we can have chickens in Glendale. Myself and another member want to set up a time to meet and lay out a game plan - if you'd like to be included let me know.
Also, I know Chandler is on the verge of getting ok'd to have chickens. If someone from Chandler could please keep me updated, that would really help. Anything to show that chickens as pets is a trend that's on the rise.
Any other suggestions people have would be greatly appreciated!

I would Gladly type something if someone gives my things to type. I will send them to you and you can print them and put them wherever. Get back to me soon!

I'm onboard with the idea of allowing back yard chickens in Glendale. I've seen some city ordinances that allow smaller flocks (up to 6 hens), but without roosters to limit noise complaints. I think Mesa's ordinance is along those lines.

I'm currently putting an offer on a property in Glendale that has several food-bearing trees, and also has irrigation. I would really, really like to have a small flock of hens for eggs. Gardening would be nice, too, but I've seen some eyebrow-raising things within city ordinance that makes me think that we might have issues with gardening.

The second the deal goes through and I move up there, I'll do everything I can to support the cause.

There is only one way this happens.....
http://www.glendaleaz.com/citycouncil/contact.cfm
Use the above link and contact your local Glendale representatives now while the issue is hot. Also, tell ATLEAST 10 more people to do the same. Grow food not grass- this is an important issue. Get the word out please.

Think social media.... Take the above URL I provided and post it on facebook with a message to contact the city councilmen in regards to chickens. Email the URL as well and dont stop until ATLEAST 10 people you know have called their city representatives. Thanks.

I got a response from Deanne Burt (management assistant to Jamie Aldama, Glendale city council representative for the Ocotillo District) after issuing a letter of concern and interest regarding poultry ownership for residential homeowners. It seems positive.

A summary of the statement: They appreciate me for contacting them, the issue is being considered, staff is researching the item for presentation to city council "sometime soon". Aldama is considering my opinion and support.

I'm not sure how much of it is bureaucratic canned response, but I'm thrilled to at least have gotten that much. I think I'm going to take the initiative and start compiling an research document to propose. If anyone knows of any local resources that can corroborate as professional references, that might help. I might try reaching out to ASU's professors for opinions regarding the matter, as well as some outlying farms and some Facebook resources.

If you're reading this, please take the time to try and contact your representatives. Every email helps illustrate the interest of the public in this regard. Unless they hear our interest, they won't take action. Tell your friends. Tell your neighbors. We can make this change happen!

Awesome news. I was out in downtown Glendale putzing around on Saturday, and ran into my city council rep. Jamie Aldama. I talked to him about repealing chicken prohibition from city ordinance for single family residential homes, and he said he was in support of the initiative, and that there's a city council meeting slated to happen some time later this year. The staff are supposedly currently researching it. I couldn't get a specific time for the council meeting (because I don't think they have set a time for it yet), but when I do find out I'll post here so we can rally support and go to the council meeting.

Also, Aldama has a "mobile office" service he does where he goes around and perhaps weekly meets with residents of his district. I plan on getting involved. I might get some t-shirts printed for this.

Yeah. I was at the workshop supporting Jamie Aldama and the Ocotillo district. I had the black RNDM hat, and my roommate came with me :D

I'm glad things went well. I also think it would be good to mention that David Farnsworth (legislator) is making another push similar to SB1151, I believe the new bill proposal is 1140. I'm still trying to find more info on it so I can spread the word, but the last push was a statewide bill that would prevent municipalities from enforcing laws that would prevent people from owning poultry, including turkeys, waterfowl, and so forth. It's important to note that the bill actually made it to the house of representatives, so there is a good amount of traction on it. With some support, it just might pass.

Let me know if you find out anything about the surveying that they'll be doing to define regulation, and I'll do whatever I can to get involved. The more chickens, the better. Also, I'd be pretty happy if the coop restrictions weren't too prohibitive.

I'm pretty sure we saw you, we were across the aisle on the end. The manager from Pratts was there along with about 5 others there for backyard chicken support.

Yes, SB 1140 had its first reading yesterday as well.

The city of Glendale, AZ Planning and Zoning are reviewing the zoning and will possibly be making amendments to the code for backyard chickens in all single-family residential housing in Glendale, AZ.
We need support, we need Glendale residents to sign petitions and volunteer to collect signatures from their neighbors. The neighbors don't have to want chickens, just sign that they are okay if their neighbors have chickens.
There is a facebook page Glendale Backyard Farmers Movement, see link below, all information about upcoming meetings will be posted there. If you reside in Glendale, please ask to join to stay updated. If you already reside in a city that allows chickens your input is valuable too. The city of Glendale needs to know if you've had any issues with neighbor complaints or your experience of having a neighbor with chickens.
There are a lot of naysayers and fear mongers who don't understand backyard chickens, who are voicing their opinion for not supporting this.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/336573933344032/

Back
Top Bottom