Chickens In Ya Window

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ruby, did you see Ravyns comment that you can't ship live birds if you aren't NPIP? :hit :

Are you and Ravyn in the same state? I think it must go by state law. I've been talking to a silkie breeder on byc and she ships out live birds all the time and she's not either of those because I specifically asked her. Her state only requires those special animal boxes and she sent me a link for them on Amazon of all places, my bff. :gig

Does anyone have any experience rescuing chickens? Especially mostly starved ones? I just went and caught those chickens my neighbors just left in their back yard when they left. They clearly haven't been fed well for sometime. I gave them a full feeder of the flock raiser pellets, as well as a couple handfuls of whole oats. After watching them attack it, I decided that after they had put down all the oats and about 2-3 cups of the pellets in 15 minutes, I decided I better take the feed away for a little while because I didn't want them to eat too fast. Anyone with experience with this?

I don't. But I would think that they would really benefit from fermented feed because it has pro-biotics and is easy to digest.

Does anyone have any experience rescuing chickens? Especially mostly starved ones? I just went and caught those chickens my neighbors just left in their back yard when they left. They clearly haven't been fed well for sometime. I gave them a full feeder of the flock raiser pellets, as well as a couple handfuls of whole oats. After watching them attack it, I decided that after they had put down all the oats and about 2-3 cups of the pellets in 15 minutes, I decided I better take the feed away for a little while because I didn't want them to eat too fast. Anyone with experience with this?

Watch for sour crop due to overeating.

Feed what they can eat in 5 minutes (when crop shows a noticeable bulge), allow at least 2 hours before next feeding (when crop is empty). Allow free range on grass if you can, if they have to work for it they won't ingest so much so fast. Plenty of water, too.

I've taken in many, many starved birds. The biggest risk (other than contagious disease, parasites, and the usual flock introduction challenges) is impacted or sour crop. Allowing them to process a small crop load before ingesting more helps immensely.

If any are growing in feathers, don't be surprised if the new feathers grow in with a damaged band.

Are you and Ravyn in the same state? I think it must go by state law. I've been talking to a silkie breeder on byc and she ships out live birds all the time and she's not either of those because I specifically asked her. Her state only requires those special animal boxes and she sent me a link for them on Amazon of all places, my bff. :gig
I don't. But I would think that they would really benefit from fermented feed because it has pro-biotics and is easy to digest.

Ruby, I am curious now which state is she in?

And the issue isn't as much with the state shipped from as it is the state they are shipped into... most states require live animals to be from an NPIP source to come in, and this year most of them also added the AI testing... many states stopped allowing live shipments in at all...

Watch for sour crop due to overeating.

Feed what they can eat in 5 minutes (when crop shows a noticeable bulge), allow at least 2 hours before next feeding (when crop is empty).  Allow free range on grass if you can, if they have to work for it they won't ingest so much so fast.  Plenty of water, too.

I've taken in many, many starved birds.  The biggest risk (other than contagious disease, parasites, and the usual flock introduction challenges) is impacted or sour crop.  Allowing them to process a small crop load before ingesting more helps immensely.

If any are growing in feathers, don't be surprised if the new feathers grow in with a damaged band.

Better advice than mine, lol... smaller amounts more times per day is optimal, just don't know if he's home that much...

O
Yep, I'd agree with that too.

Frmboy, how old are these chickens? Its very nice of you to take them on. Did you quarantine them from your flock?

They are about 2 years old from what I understand. They are quarantined, and I honestly considered just putting them down, but decided against it so far.

Thanks everyone for their advice. That was along the lines of what I was thinking. Right now they are in a very small pen, because that's what I had available. I have them on one side of my yard, and my other chickens are all on the other side.

I'm trying to decide if they are even worth trying to save. They probably won't lay much as old as they are, and when I felt the brahmas chest, the keel bone felt about like a turkeys after thanksgiving dinner. It appears that there was some serious neglect.

Catching them I found a nest of about 12 eggs. I was really tempted to grab them and bust them right near the front porch so any one who comes to look at the house to potentially buy it was overpowered by rotten egg. That's my vindictive side ****** off that anyone could treat an animal this way.

Are you and Ravyn in the same state? I think it must go by state law. I've been talking to a silkie breeder on byc and she ships out live birds all the time and she's not either of those because I specifically asked her. Her state only requires those special animal boxes and she sent me a link for them on Amazon of all places, my bff. :gig.

Ravyn is in TN, and I'm in... well... WV! Lol But I brought it up because I'd love to have your little roo boy, if you end up getting rid of one! Guess we would have to check into our state's rules.

Ruby, I am curious now which state is she in?

And the issue isn't as much with the state shipped from as it is the state they are shipped into... most states require live animals to be from an NPIP source to come in, and this year most of them also added the AI testing... many states stopped allowing live shipments in at all...
One of the guys that drove down from North Carolina last weekend to buy a rooster said that they weren't supposed to carry birds across the state line. I sold him a box and gave him a rooster

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom