CHICKS ARRIVED!!!!!!!!!!

TheBigWRanch

Songster
12 Years
Feb 12, 2007
Wenatchee, Washington
Well, they finally got here at 6:30! I woke up at 5 am, and thought oh my gosh, they aren't going to come today! I'm too paranoid. They were born on the 21st. I bought 94, 4 were DOA and one was very ill, and died before I finished watering everyone. (It took over 90 minutes). I had hoped to get them yesterday, my first order of chicks last August arrived in two days, and 8 of 30 died, but my second order in September arrived in only one day, and only 3 of 37 died! I'm sure more of these chicks will pass in the next couple of days, a few are looking ill, but I'm doing everything I can to keep them alive! The Polish seem to be the most sensitive, I have had 8 in total die during shipping. My Dad was so funny, before he was mad about the chicks, but yesterday at 6:30 he drove to the post office to ask about them! I don't know why he didn't just call. Then today he was on his way to check again when the post office called my Mom to say they were here. When they got home my Mom said she could hear them all the way from the basement to the third floor bedroom! They are so cute, I can only identify a couple of them. The Buff Polish, White Silkies, Mottled Cochins, Porcelain Dutch, and Self Blue d'Uccles are all easy, but everyone else is unknown to me, which is sad because I had hoped to take pictures of each kind to put on the web site I am making. Of course my camera is deciding to act up and take blurry pics! Tomorrow I will try to find the 4 of each kind and take group pics, and try to identify them later. I'm going to go to Ideal Poultry now to look at all the baby pics, and see if I recognize any. 4 are the color of the Avia Charge 2000 water I gave them, so I named them Coke! Well, I have only had 3 hours of sleep, and I'm not a morning person, so I must go. Here are some pics.
100_7757.jpg

100_7758.jpg

Wow! Thats a mess of chicks! I hope you don't lose any more. I don't know how you can go to sleep. I wouldn't be able to. Good luck with them! Keep us posted! And keep those pics coming!
-Eric

When I was watering them and letting them out, I had to climb into the brooder, because it is so big. By the time I was done I had chicks curled up underneath me, and even ones in my pant legs! Of course my legs feel asleep, so getting up was a challenge, I was so afraid I would squish one. They were way to cold so I had to add two more lights, they look great now, except for about 3. I'll defiantly post more pics!

Well, I think I have also identified Silver Spangled Spitzhaubens, Gold Brabanters, Cuckoo Old English, Salmon Faverolles, Light Brown Dutch, Buff Cochins, Partridge Cochins, and Black Tailed Buff Japanese. AHHH so many more to go!!

Back
Top Bottom