CHICKS ARRIVED!!!!!!!!!!

Unfortunately a total of 17 have died! I told them to knock it off, the hard part is over, and now you have food water and heat! It seems weird that so many died after I got them. They must go into shock from the sudden changes? Well, everyone else looks fine, and I think the worst part is over. Here are a few more pics. I took over 160, but only about 5 turned out. I guess I'll have to buy a new camera, I'm tired of messing around with this one trying to get it to work!

100_7920.jpg

These are the Red Pyle Old English, they are the smallest looking chicks I got.

100_7861.jpg

These are the Gold Brabanters, they are the second largest chicks.

100_7837.jpg

These are the Salmon Faverolles, they are the largest looking chicks.

100_7802.jpg

These are the Partridge Cochins, my favorite colored chicks.

CUTE! I have a partridge cochin... she is so pretty! She's a little broody b**** so I'm giving her some silkie eggs to settle her down!

I'm sure it was a lot of stress on those little guys... the long trip and a new home. Hopefully the worst is over.

Wow! I can't imagine that many chicks at one time! Congratulations!

I hope you're keeping an eye out for pasty butt, one of the biggest causes of mortality in shipped chicks.

tea.gif
:

Love your pictures of your new chicks! My friend's local feed store will soon be getting in their chicks! I can't wait to see them. Maybe I can con Denise into buying some but I don't think she will. We can only hope that her rooster Jack and her hens can get it together this spring and hatch their own. It has been our first year with chickens now and I look forward to seeing mother hens interact with their own brood of chicks.

Quote:
Yes I got them from Ideal. Last year I ordered 30, and then I decided to have 37 arrive a month later. This year I decided to do it all in one shipment instead of two. It's much easier. Although I have already thought about getting another shipment in mid March!
Quote:
Yes I spent about an hour yesterday taking off all the pasty butt. I plan on checking them everyday until it is gone.
I finally broke down and bought a new camera yesterday. It should be here in about two weeks, so the chicks won't be cute and fluffy any more by then! I don't know why my camera had to do this right before my chicks got here!
One more chick died, so that makes 18. I'm having so much trouble identifying the white ones, but I think I lost 3 out of 4 red pyle Old English, and 3 out of 4 Cubalayas, so I'm not happy!

Back
Top Bottom