Chocolate/Dun Silkies?

Quote:
Just realize that the barring gene dilutes skin colour; this is the reason it is so difficult to get dark skinned cuckoos. A double dose of barring would be much harder for dark skin than a single dose. This is one of the reasons that the girls' combs are darker; the other is that testosterone makes combs redder.

Quote:
Nice!

Thanks. I love that Khaki..... It's not as dark of a color as the chocolate. I am sure that took awhile to get that. I wonder if I put a white on a chocolate if I could get a lighter color chocolate or if I would get mutt colors. I am kinda new to the genetics and am learning more and more everyday. I know it takes a long time to progress.

Don't use white. It is not a dilution gene, it is an OFF switch that prevents colour from entering the feathers or being created (recessive & dominant whites work differently). As black a bird as you can find is actually your best bet if you want to remain with silkies; it is the closest thing there is to neutral, "what you see is what you get." Otherwise cross to a dun-based chocolate in another breed (polish, wyandottes and OEGB are available in dun-based chocolate), then breed back to silkies to reinstate type, silkie feathers and other silkie traits.

Quote:
Thanks. I love that Khaki..... It's not as dark of a color as the chocolate. I am sure that took awhile to get that. I wonder if I put a white on a chocolate if I could get a lighter color chocolate or if I would get mutt colors. I am kinda new to the genetics and am learning more and more everyday. I know it takes a long time to progress.

Don't use white. It is not a dilution gene, it is an OFF switch that prevents colour from entering the feathers or being created (recessive & dominant whites work differently). As black a bird as you can find is actually your best bet if you want to remain with silkies; it is the closest thing there is to neutral, "what you see is what you get." Otherwise cross to a dun-based chocolate in another breed (polish, wyandottes and OEGB are available in dun-based chocolate), then breed back to silkies to reinstate type, silkie feathers and other silkie traits.

I see you are also working on chocolates. What luck have you had. Do you have pics of any.

Quote:

I see you are also working on chocolates. What luck have you had. Do you have pics of any.

The khaki is mine
wink.png
I do have some chocolates, but the colour doesn't photograph well; my goal for quite a few years has been to lighten them. I think I am succeeding.

Reese and Sonoran, PLEASE keep working on your projects! And while your in the process, send some eggs or chicks my way! Haha. No really, you both have beautiful birds. You've clearly put a LOT of hard work into them. Very impressive. I would love to see some true chocolates and some khakis in the US and would especially love to see them at my house one day!

Hope to see your birds at the show, SS.

I've seen silkies that are so dark red, they take on the appearance of the Chocolate color. So you may have have a Silkie that looks Chocolate but is actually a red that doesn't carry the recessive CHOC gene. I hope I explained that appropriately...?
hmm.png

Back
Top Bottom