Chocolate/Dun Silkies?

lol..... They are molting no eggies. I haven't gotten a Male chocolate for my lovely girls yet. So I only have a Black Rooster for my girls. So they wouldn't hatch out chocolate just the males would be split if I read right.

Me too!!!!
fl.gif

Does anyone know anybody who has perfected the cuckoo silkies combs. I wonder if I put a nice black rooster on a cuckoo hen if I could get a better looking comb.

I could really use a chocolate rooster. lol....

Quote:
Have to breed it in. I used chocolate polish. Here is my baby khaki; way too young to show, but nevertheless, she's in her first tomorrow in Tucson, then again at Shawnee in a couple of weeks.

20590_sam_1623.jpg

and with a pale lavender, a blue and a black for colour comparison.

20590_sam_1630.jpg

I have several younger ones as well. This is the first generation with all silkie features.

Dun is an allele of dominant white; choc is an entirely separate gene. Their appearance is virtually identical. Inheritance is completely different. Dun is incompletely dominant. One copy (I^D/i+) dilutes to the colour chocolate, two copies (I^D/I^D) dilutes to the colour khaki. Fawn silver duckwing is also based upon dun. The e-allele appears to make a huge difference in the amount of dilution. Silver vs gold seems to change the hue.

choc is a sex-linked recessive gene. All the US "chocolates" are actually dun-based. Unless someone is working on a project and has crossed seramas to get choc into a different breed, it is not present in the US, except in seramas. It is available in Europe and elsewhere in other breeds.

I am not aware of chocolate sumatras; they would be interesting to see as their black is so very intense; I wonder how their chocolate would be?

You may improve the combs, but with that cross you'd only get males with barring, and only a single gene of it. You would have to cross that single barred roo back on cuckoo hens to get a double barred roo, and hope the comb improvement held. On the plus side, you could use that double barred roo to get barred pullets.

Quote:
Thanks for the help..... I have to try and figure out what projects need to go and what ones are worth improving. I really like the cuckoo there pattern is neat but, seems everyone is having difficulty breeding out the pink combs.

Quote:
Expect that your birds are dun, not choc. Dun is much more common. Breed to black, and if about half the offspring (needs large numbers for accuracy in the probability) should be chocolate. If all offspring (large numbers) are black, then you do likely have choc, and the birds' value just increased exponentially
wink.png

With dun, take chocolate offspring and breed back to a chocolate and 25% should inherit two copies, giving you khaki.

Quote:
Nice!

Thanks. I love that Khaki..... It's not as dark of a color as the chocolate. I am sure that took awhile to get that. I wonder if I put a white on a chocolate if I could get a lighter color chocolate or if I would get mutt colors. I am kinda new to the genetics and am learning more and more everyday. I know it takes a long time to progress.

Back
Top Bottom