Chocolate/Dun Silkies?

Quote:
Red like RIR? That does not look chocolate to me; looks nearly black, or as was described elsewhere, the colour of a bing cherry. Chocolate looks like a hershey bar, whether created with the choc gene or with the dun gene.

i used chocolate polish with super nice crests and bred with black silkie hens to try to get chocolate silkies. did you have any problem with the size of your crests in the offspring ?the crest size in the young was really small and still is. i haven't been breeding much from them because of this. another question i have is about the picture you have as a khaki, when i breed chocolate to chocolate, i've been getting some that i've been calling khaki that are a white looking bird with a faint chocolate overcast to them. if they aren't khaki, is there a color description for them ? thanks in advance for any help. this is my first ever post, hope i got it right.

Quote:
Have to breed it in. I used chocolate polish. Here is my baby khaki; way too young to show, but nevertheless, she's in her first tomorrow in Tucson, then again at Shawnee in a couple of weeks.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/20590_sam_1623.jpg

and with a pale lavender, a blue and a black for colour comparison.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/20590_sam_1630.jpg

I have several younger ones as well. This is the first generation with all silkie features.

Dun is an allele of dominant white; choc is an entirely separate gene. Their appearance is virtually identical. Inheritance is completely different. Dun is incompletely dominant. One copy (I^D/i+) dilutes to the colour chocolate, two copies (I^D/I^D) dilutes to the colour khaki. Fawn silver duckwing is also based upon dun. The e-allele appears to make a huge difference in the amount of dilution. Silver vs gold seems to change the hue.

choc is a sex-linked recessive gene. All the US "chocolates" are actually dun-based. Unless someone is working on a project and has crossed seramas to get choc into a different breed, it is not present in the US, except in seramas. It is available in Europe and elsewhere in other breeds.

I am not aware of chocolate sumatras; they would be interesting to see as their black is so very intense; I wonder how their chocolate would be?

pips&peeps :

Quote:
She probably didn't sell because you advertised her as chocolate and not dun.

It's because she is chocolate, not Dun. I sold 1 already for $300. I will keep her name quite just in case she wants to breed in peace.​

Why would someone have illegal birds?

If you ask me they look like a hershey chocolate bar like Sonoran says, not like Dun.

I'm sorry but have you looked at the color Dun & Chocolate. There is a big differance in the 2 colors.

It is not illegal to breed for differant colors.

Last edited:
The real chocolate gene, to my knowlege, has not yet been legally imported into the US.

It is illegal to ship birds or hatching eggs into the US without the proper documentation.

Except mine have not been shipped in from over seas.

You can get chocolate from other birds such as: Polish, Old English, Sex Links.

So no they were not imported and they are not illegal. and Yes they are the real chocolate as legal as they can be.

Boy, people sure do like to argue on this forum. Like they know better than the person that has the birds that bred them. People on here never cease to amaze me.

If it isn't your bird please do not come on here to start a fight and tell someone that isn't what you really have, or that it is illegal. It is getting old.

Not to sound rude but it is the truth, I see it all the time n here. You cannot tell someone they don't have chocolate or the gene because you think they don't.

I don't know who has what but chocolate bred to chcocolate throws chocolate. Dun is a chocolate colored bird but does not bred true. Dun bred to Dun throws Dun (chocolate colored), Kahki and black. Dun and Chocolate (Self Chocolate) are the same color but different genetically. By the way I have never seen a project bird thath I would pay $300 for but to each his own.

Quote:
Polish is Dun and Khaki and not Chocolate and I believe OE's are the same.
The hobby name for a Dun Polish is called Chocolate.

Off the Polish Breeders Club Site --
Breeding Chocolate's
Chocolate X Chocolate = 25%Black, 25%Khaki, 50%Chocolate
Chocolate X Black = 50%Black & 50%Chocolate
Chocolate X Khaki = 50%Chocolate & 50%Khaki
Khaki X Black = 100%Chocolate
Khaki X Khaki = 100%Khaki

You can test breed your birds to see if they are Chocolate or Dun.

If you take a Black Rooster put him over one of your hens in question-
If she is Dun you will get 50%Black & 50%Chocolate [and not Sex-linked]

If she is Chocolate then all the F1 Males should be Black and all the F1 Females should be Chocolate
Now if you take a F1 Black Male cross him back to his mom and you should get all Chocolate offspring.

With the Chocolate gene Males need two copies of the gene in order to be Chocolate and Females only need one

Chris

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom