Cinco-de-Mayo Hatch-A-Long celebration!

Pics
I forgot about the recipes part of this thread! Should it be only cinco de mayo themed recipes or anything 😀?
Well, why not? I'm game for anything yummy you can share!
Besides, add a dollop of salsa, avocado slices, lime juice, chili peppers, frijoles (beans), or tortillas and I can fake Mexican food! :lau:drool

I just made some spicy peanut sauce to serve over noodles, but it can certainly be used as a sauce for Mexican food! The peanut is from South America, so they *might* also have had it in Mexico?

Ingredients were 1/3 cup natural peanut butter, 1 tbs maple syrup (or sweetener of choice), 1/4 tsp chili flakes, 1/4 tsp ginger (I think that's Asian though), 2 Tbsp white wine or vinegar, and hot water to consistency wanted.

Mix all ingredients together (whisk or shake vigorously in a jar, etc) and use as a sauce, a marinade, a dip. Can be made when needed or stored in the fridge for later. :)

I just made some spicy peanut sauce to serve over noodles, but it can certainly be used as a sauce for Mexican food! The peanut is from South America, so they *might* also have had it in Mexico?

Ingredients were 1/3 cup natural peanut butter, 1 tbs maple syrup (or sweetener of choice), 1/4 tsp chili flakes, 1/4 tsp ginger (I think that's Asian though), 2 Tbsp white wine or vinegar, and hot water to consistency wanted.

Mix all ingredients together (whisk or shake vigorously in a jar, etc) and use as a sauce, a marinade, a dip. Can be made when needed or stored in the fridge for later. :)
Yum!

I just made a big batch of spinach egg wraps which can be used for sandwich rolls but also could be like a tortilla stand in!

I lightly wisk a dozen eggs with about 1/2 cup water, tablespoon of spinach powder and a little salt.

I split that onto 2 greased cookie sheets and bake at 350 until it all looks cooked. Then slice into 4 or 6 rectangles depending on how big I want the wraps to be.

They can be kept in the fridge or frozen in a zip lock bag for later use!

Recap: I got Jubilee and silver laced English Orpington eggs shipped to me from a breeder. Order 6 SLO and 12 JO they sent extras which put me at 22 eggs received. One broke in shipping. I set 21 in my NR on 4/12.

This is my first ever hatch so I have candled more then is required lol but as of yesterday I have 2 SLO and 8 JO going strong. 1 SLO egg I think quit is still in the NR but I am fair certain it stopped developing.

I am disappointed with losing so many of the SLO eggs but I think maybe size is playing a part. Most of the SLO eggs I received were extra large eggs, the ones I have left that are still going strong are the smallest of the bunch. I think this could well have effected the outcome as they just didn’t handle the shipping as well.

What do you guys think? I question this because I will need to decide if I should try again with shipped eggs or get chicks instead for this variety.

The day before lockdown I am transferring all the eggs from the incubator to my very broody BCM to hatch out and raise, she went broody a few days after I set the eggs so the timing couldn’t be better.

Finally got around to candling for the first time on this batch. It's Day 8. Out of 42 eggs set, I have 39 very lively embryos!!! I pulled 2 clears, and one which had a hairline crack. It had started to develop, looks like it died maybe 2 days ago. It had a very black, pea-sized spot near the small end that didn't move at all, like stuck to the inside of the shell. I'm guessing that was bacteria or fungus setting in. I'm sorry I didn't get a photo to show you guys, but I had lobbed it over the fence before I thought about it! But anyway, I had set three extras (stacked), so after disposing of those three, I'm at full capacity with 39 good eggs. Very happy! :yesss:
That's awesome!

My last egg quit too. 😫
I have another dozen plus coming and will try again. I've already spoken to the post office to let them know to hold and call, and the eggs are only shipping from 7 hrs away, instead of STATES away.

I've reset everything up on the incubator and am deciding (after some reading) to start with a lower humidity and work together with the air cell growth to determine which way in needs to go. I took my egg turners out of the incubator and will turn by hand starting around day 4 or 5. The eggs will rest 12-24 hrs depending upon what the air cells look like prior to going into the incubator. The incubator is up and running in preparation for the eggs, and so that I can become more familiar with it.

I'll be watching the thread I'm anticipation of hatching eggs!!!

Preparing for lockdown, everyone! I candled two nights ago, and all is well with all 39 eggs. Fingers crossed still! Hatch is due to start Thursday, May 4th and hopefully finish on Friday, May 5th. Candling one more time tomorrow night, then lockdown!
Anybody else have an update?

I'm bringing salsa (home-grown and canned) and tortilla chips to our Cinco-de-Mayo party, chicken enchiladas, and margaritas. Yum!!!

Recipes to follow in a bit.....

Back
Top Bottom