Cochin Bantams and Frizzle Cochin Bantams!!

I have 3 bantam Cochins and I live in Texas where it gets over 90 degrees in the summer. I've read they are not supposed to get wet but I also read that chickens like to play in water. Besides the Cochins I have 2 gold sexlinks and 1 unidentified hen but she's regular size (not bantam). So my mom had planned to give all of them a little tub with water so they could play and keep cool, then I found out on here that we have Cochins (we were told they were silkies as chicks) and they can't get wet.

So my question: can my Cochins play in the tub of water like the other 3 hens as long as it's really hot outside? (Over 90 degrees)

I have 3 bantam Cochins and I live in Texas where it gets over 90 degrees in the summer. I've read they are not supposed to get wet but I also read that chickens like to play in water. Besides the Cochins I have 2 gold sexlinks and 1 unidentified hen but she's regular size (not bantam). So my mom had planned to give all of them a little tub with water so they could play and keep cool, then I found out on here that we have Cochins (we were told they were silkies as chicks) and they can't get wet.

So my question: can my Cochins play in the tub of water like the other 3 hens as long as it's really hot outside? (Over 90 degrees)
Hi there!
You posed a while,,,but it is still hot right?????:D I would think shallow pans of water are fine, but if you have dirt around...you will get muddy feet..LOL! And you want to make sure if that happens that mud does not cake on their feet. I actually freeze water bottles to cool my cochins. They will lay against them or hop on top and cool off their feet...which cools their body. I had one indoor girl that was so spoiled..we froze a hand towel and she would plop her little body down on it! Stay cool!!!

My little red cockerel grew up and is so pretty. I posted about my frizzle trio back in March. We named him Billy the Kid because he's so full of attitude, but I love him so much. He's deft hooked me on Bantam Cochins. The white one turned out to be a frazzle and wasn't thriving too well so we had to cull her. Sad day. The black one, we named Lucy, mysteriously passed away about two weeks ago. No idea what was wrong with her. But Billy is going strong and is head bird to all my large fowl laying hens now. He thinks he's in heaven now! HAHA

20170610_135827.jpg

I purchased these lovely ladies this month (NOT to be bred to Billy) and I'm so wowed at the difference between breeder quality chickens and hatchery birds (Billy). They are so nice and super sweet snuggle bugs. They are Mille Fleur/Calico sisters: share the same sire but came from different hens. I'll get much better pics of them once they are outside and out of quarantine.

20170814_130013 (2).jpg
20170814_125956 (2).jpg

As soon as the weather is cooler for shipping I'll be getting a Frizzled Mille Fleur cockerel and some smooth hens from Amy of West Knoll Farms. Can't hardly stand the wait for them!! :barnie I'm looking forward to lots of adorable fluffy butt chicks in my future! :woot

Last edited:
My little red cockerel grew up and is so pretty. I posted about my frizzle trio back in March. We named him Billy the Kid because he's so full of attitude, but I love him so much. He's deft hooked me on Bantam Cochins. The white one turned out to be a frazzle and wasn't thriving too well so we had to cull her. Sad day. The black one, we named Lucy, mysteriously passed away about two weeks ago. No idea what was wrong with her. But Billy is going strong and is head bird to all my large fowl laying hens now. He thinks he's in heaven now! HAHA

View attachment 1116822

I purchased these lovely ladies this month (NOT to be bred to Billy) and I'm so wowed at the difference between breeder quality chickens and hatchery birds (Billy). They are so nice and super sweet snuggle bugs. They are Mille Fleur/Calico sisters: share the same sire but came from different hens. I'll get much better pics of them once they are outside and out of quarantine.

View attachment 1116824 View attachment 1116825

As soon as the weather is cooler for shipping I'll be getting a Frizzled Mille Fleur cockerel and some smooth hens from Amy of West Knoll Farms. Can't hardly stand the wait for them!! :barnie I'm looking forward to lots of adorable fluffy butt chicks in my future! :woot
Your boy is HANDSOME! So sorry about your girls you lost :hugsYAY for more fluffy butts! I got eggs from Amy a few years back and they were beautiful birds!!!!

Thanks!! Billy is quite a little butthead if I don't give him enough attention. He decided very early on in the brooder that I'm his person. He would come running to the door when I'd open it and hop right onto my lap. HAHA!! I've been drooling over her website for a while now and am so excited to be getting some - Come on cooler weather!!! :ya

Last edited:

View attachment 1116822

View attachment 1116824 View attachment 1116825

Omg your birds are so pretty! I want a frizzle so bad but have no idea where to get one here :(

Hi there!
You posed a while,,,but it is still hot right?????:D I would think shallow pans of water are fine, but if you have dirt around...you will get muddy feet..LOL! And you want to make sure if that happens that mud does not cake on their feet. I actually freeze water bottles to cool my cochins. They will lay against them or hop on top and cool off their feet...which cools their body. I had one indoor girl that was so spoiled..we froze a hand towel and she would plop her little body down on it! Stay cool!!!

Sorry for my late response I wasn't getting notifications either! I actually did more research on here since then and I do have a shallow little 'pool' for them that my gold sexlinks live in practically as well as a frozen bottle to stand on. My Cochins don't even like the water so that sorta solved that dilemma. They will sit on the frozen bottle sometimes. I give them ice cubes with fruit in them and one of my little Cochin bantams becomes this big bully and won't let anyone else near to eat them. Lol

View attachment 1116825
20170814_125956-2-jpg.1116825

I'd love to see more pics of this girl! :love

Omg your birds are so pretty! I want a frizzle so bad but have no idea where to get one here :(

My frizzle hen is finally laying again! :clap
WP_20170716_15_54_53_Pro_LI.jpg
WP_20170716_15_55_51_Pro.jpg

Thanks! There are a small few people breeding the mille fleur Frizzles, but I got Billy from a breeder who had actually ordered the Frizzles from a hatchery. After I get the new frizzle cockerel, and three hens to go with him, I'm planning on breeding them. If you keep in touch I just may have some available in a few months. ;)

Back
Top Bottom