Cochin Bantams and Frizzle Cochin Bantams!!

Pics
This is why I love this website!!! I had no idea you shouldn't breed frizzles together! I have learned so much here about colors and genetics! No one around where I live will help me.... They want to be the only ones that sell certain colors :-(

Okay so here's my plan (I'm a planner lol).... Splash smooth rooster--> black frizzle hen-------> (hoping for at least one) blue frizzle hen --> splash rooster..... Hoping this works :) I know it will take awhile but that's okay.

Are frizzles just frizzles? Or are there types of chickens that carry a frizzle gene? What are Cochin/Silkie crosses?

Are frizzles just frizzles? Or are there types of chickens that carry a frizzle gene? What are Cochin/Silkie crosses?

That depends on where you are in the world. In the US, frizzles are not a breed, any breed can be frizzled. In my opinion, and this has caused some ruffled feathers with others, a smooth feathered bird from frizzle matings is indeed a frizzle, it just does not possess the genes required to make the feathers curl. You never breed two frizzles together, its best to breed a smooth bird from frizzle matings back to a frizzle. That will ensure type you want, and feather quality.

And a Cochin/Silkie cross is just that, a cross. They are, in all aspects, a mutt. People have started breeding frizzles to Silkies and giving them a pet name of "sizzles", and sale them for ridiculous prices to unsuspecting buyers.

~Casey

Can anyone post a list of the recognized varieties of bantam cochins? I've looked at a few different website resources, but they don't all seem to list the same colors/varieties as recognized breeds, so I'm a little confused? Does it depend on which organization(s) is/are sanctioning the show?

Back
Top Bottom