Cochin Bantams and Frizzle Cochin Bantams!!

Pics

My little frizzle male all washed up and clean. About 2/3 dry in this picture, he wouldnt stand still for nothing. He was very curious and wondered the house checking out anything and everything he could. Did manage to get this picture.

~Casey

Hi there!

I posted this question on its own thread, but then realized who better to ask than you guys :)

I have a banty cochin that is a "sport".

Here is a photo of him:

He was hatched from my small flock of banties. Obviously he is not show quality, but he has a great color and pattern and I thought I would try to find a show quality girl to mate him with to continue this color/pattern combo. He is buff with white barring or possibly buff cuckoo (a bit hard to see in the photo). His mom was definitely buff - as those are the only hens I had at the time he was hatched. Daddy is - and I am guessing - a noncrested white silkie with a black barred or cuckoo pattern. The only other roos I had at the time were solid buffs and one black birchen, so it pretty much has to be the barred or cuckoo silkie to explain the pattern, correct?

What color/pattern hen should I breed him with to increase the barring, reduce the white feathers in his tail and improve on his conformation? And who has birds of this color that I might be able to contact to get hatching eggs, chicks or an adult hen from?

Thanks for sharing your expertise!
Korina

Hi there!

I posted this question on its own thread, but then realized who better to ask than you guys :)

I have a banty cochin that is a "sport".

Here is a photo of him:

He was hatched from my small flock of banties. Obviously he is not show quality, but he has a great color and pattern and I thought I would try to find a show quality girl to mate him with to continue this color/pattern combo. He is buff with white barring or possibly buff cuckoo (a bit hard to see in the photo). His mom was definitely buff - as those are the only hens I had at the time he was hatched. Daddy is - and I am guessing - a noncrested white silkie with a black barred or cuckoo pattern. The only other roos I had at the time were solid buffs and one black birchen, so it pretty much has to be the barred or cuckoo silkie to explain the pattern, correct?

What color/pattern hen should I breed him with to increase the barring, reduce the white feathers in his tail and improve on his conformation? And who has birds of this color that I might be able to contact to get hatching eggs, chicks or an adult hen from?

Thanks for sharing your expertise!
Korina
He looks to be full cochin.How many toes does he have?He is sharp looking,like the color.

Last edited:
He has the right number of toes for a cochin. My silkie roo is just a pet and the very little I know abut silkies leads me to believe that he is either a crossbreed or just a very poor specimen of a silkie. A few years ago I bought 2-4 of every breed I could find to see which breeds I liked best and wanted to focus on. Cochins, with their huge fluffy bodies and super temperaments won out :)

He has the right number of toes for a cochin. My silkie roo is just a pet and the very little I know abut silkies leads me to believe that he is either a crossbreed or just a very poor specimen of a silkie. A few years ago I bought 2-4 of every breed I could find to see which breeds I liked best and wanted to focus on. Cochins, with their huge fluffy bodies and super temperaments won out :)
I am going with cochin.He may not be a showbird as far as his unique coloring.But he is a nice looking bird and I would not say he is a poor specimen for a cochin.

Thanks for the input. If he is a pure cochin, my only cochin roos at the time he was hatched were a birchen roo, and a buff roo. In the past, my buff hens and their buff roo always gave me solid buff chicks, with no pattern so I just assumed the male was a patterned bird.

Regardless of parentage, how do I keep or improve upon the pattern? Who do I breed him back to to get more of this color & pattern. And what is the pattern? It is definitely a white bar across the feather, but it is not very sharply defined. And currently he does not have any barring in his hackle or saddle feathers either.

I, too, think he is a pretty bird and would love to hatch a few chicks to see if I can create a small flock in this color and pattern. (It was my silkie who is a very poor specimen.) But he is still not as round and full as some of my show quality large fowl cochins, so I thought I should try to find a show quality banty hen to pair with him.

Any advice on a hen color and pattern to pair him with would be very welcome!

Korina

Thanks for the input. If he is a pure cochin, my only cochin roos at the time he was hatched were a birchen roo, and a buff roo. In the past, my buff hens and their buff roo always gave me solid buff chicks, with no pattern so I just assumed the male was a patterned bird.

Regardless of parentage, how do I keep or improve upon the pattern? Who do I breed him back to to get more of this color & pattern. And what is the pattern? It is definitely a white bar across the feather, but it is not very sharply defined. And currently he does not have any barring in his hackle or saddle feathers either.

I, too, think he is a pretty bird and would love to hatch a few chicks to see if I can create a small flock in this color and pattern. (It was my silkie who is a very poor specimen.) But he is still not as round and full as some of my show quality large fowl cochins, so I thought I should try to find a show quality banty hen to pair with him.

Any advice on a hen color and pattern to pair him with would be very welcome!

Korina
Breed him back to your buff hens.If you knew which one was the mother,she would be the one I would breed him to.Does he have any sisters?I know that sounds weird,but that would be how you might produce more like him.

He has no sisters - he was a "bonus" egg my broody cochin laid after I had put her on a nest of Polish eggs I wanted her to hatch :) I wish I knew which hen was his mom, but since I wasn't trying to hatch cochins, I did not take any notes. If I breed him back to the buff hens, won't that weaken the pattern? Again, I am not very knowledgeable on the barred, cuckoo, etc. patterns and how recessive or dominant they are. Is there a color and pattern combo that would help improve the barring? But will it be easier to try to breed successive generations to make the pattern strong while keeping the buff color, rather than trying to weed out a different color that may have the pattern I am looking for?

I tried the chicken calculator and it told me I'd get buff unicolor? barred if the white bar is dominant white. But I really couldn't get the image to look like my roo as I don't know enough to use the much more specific and accurate calculator. Any tips for entering in the information to get a more accurate result?

Back
Top Bottom