Cochin breeding, genetics, and showing

what will these three look like as adults. one of them is a mix. the gray one and the black one are pure. parents were blue. father has autosmal red. do i have a black and blue or a black and splash?

Middle one looks like a blue. One on right looks like a dark blue or black. Not sure what the right one is since it's mixed

so will i be able to tell if my birds will have red leakage as adults while they are chicks? my blue chick has a very faint reddish brown spot on the back of her head. the black chick doesn't seem to have any unusual markings. also why is my blue pair able to produce black and splash chicks. is it because the rooster has autosmal red? or can that happen with any blue pairing? and if so how?

so will i be able to tell if my birds will have red leakage as adults while they are chicks?  my blue chick has a very faint reddish brown spot on the back of her head.  the black chick doesn't seem to have any unusual markings.  also why is my blue pair able to produce black and splash chicks.  is it because the rooster has autosmal red?  or can that happen with any blue pairing?  and if so how? 

I can almost guarantee if the parents have red leakage the chicks will too

so will i be able to tell if my birds will have red leakage as adults while they are chicks? my blue chick has a very faint reddish brown spot on the back of her head. the black chick doesn't seem to have any unusual markings. also why is my blue pair able to produce black and splash chicks. is it because the rooster has autosmal red? or can that happen with any blue pairing? and if so how?
The Andalusian Blue gene is an incompletely dominant diluter of black pigment, and does not breed "true." One copy of the gene dilutes Black pattern to Blue, and two copies dilutes Blue pattern even farther to create Splash. Your rooster's red leakage is his "ground color" showing through.

Good stuff about chicken color genetics: http://kippenjungle.nl/basisEN.htm

Color calculator: http://kippenjungle.nl/kruisingKipFlexTree.html

Momma won't let me take pics, but I've got 10 mixed breeds in my yard! Another broody sitting on more. I know one is an Americana & bantam Cochin or bantam buff Brahma since I could see the outside this are fluffy. The rest polish, crevecoeur, bantam buff Brahma, bantam Cochin, oegb as roos & the same plus light Brahma bantam & sultan bantam with no oegb for hens. Several have black, 1 is super time with the color I think self blue Cochin bantam hen, & several have fluffy feet.

I lost one that had been pecked by momma who was a sultan bantam mix. I've another mix-only 1 for with 5 toes.

I'll post pics once I can get them. I'm happy as I didn't expect any to hatch. As of last check it was 11 out of 30. There was a 3rd girl who decided to stop sitting. The light Brahma bantam had the eggs covered-she wants to hatch, but not be momma it seems. My Cochin bantam is momma & stopped sitting once she had 9 of these with her. She got out the nest & only back at night. So I moved the eggs to the other girl. It's also the light Brahma bantam who pecked the one I lost. Poor Lil thing held on for a few days. We did our best as she was trying.

Back
Top Bottom