Cochin breeding, genetics, and showing

I have two cochins I think, they're 6 weeks but I plan on breeding them when they're older it would be my first time trying to breed anything so could I get tips and opinions of them please

I have two cochins I think, they're 6 weeks but I plan on breeding them when they're older it would be my first time trying to breed anything so could I get tips and opinions of them please

At only 6 weeks old they are really quite too young to be critiquing very much, and unfortunately your camera angle doesn't paint the best picture of them. Dark-colored faces, beaks, feet and legs will be apparent at this point, but it's far too early to effectively evaluate their abundance of feathers, or lack thereof. Cochins are a SLOW maturing breed, and often they will be a year old before you really know what they will look like. Even if they are "pet quality" with some flaws, they will likely be a great learning opportunity, and there is absolutely no reason why you can't breed them and enjoy their offspring as pets and backyard layers.

Anyone here know what color a mille fleur cock over splash hens would produce?
I'm horrible with those calculators.

I looked at the calculator at kippenjungle and it looks like your entire F1 generation will be solid Blues, perhaps with some red/gold leakage. They will all be split for the recessive mottling gene, and the dominant colombian gene. The note on the Colombian gene states that the heterozygous females may show pattern on their backs, though I don't know how you would know that they did or didn't if they were solid blue.
idunno.gif

I looked at the calculator at kippenjungle and it looks like your entire F1 generation will be solid Blues, perhaps with some red/gold leakage.  They will all be split for the recessive mottling gene, and the dominant colombian gene.  The note on the Colombian gene states that the heterozygous females may show pattern on their backs, though I don't know how you would know that they did or didn't if they were solid blue.  :idunno

Wow, thanks a bunch. I was coming up with all black, so I wasn't too far off. Lol

By the way, my mottled boy in my main pen came from your stock. I got him from a member here that got eggs from you. I love him and think he's fabulous, so thank you. :)

Here's George and one of my hens that just hatched 7 chicks.

Wow, thanks a bunch. I was coming up with all black, so I wasn't too far off. Lol

By the way, my mottled boy in my main pen came from your stock. I got him from a member here that got eggs from you. I love him and think he's fabulous, so thank you.
smile.png

Here's George and one of my hens that just hatched 7 chicks.

You're welcome.
smile.png

George and his lady friend are both quite lovely. Thanks so much for the kind words about my birds, and for sharing his pictures. I hope you are getting nice chicks out of him.

At only 6 weeks old they are really quite too young to be critiquing very much, and unfortunately your camera angle doesn't paint the best picture of them.  Dark-colored faces, beaks, feet and legs will be apparent at this point, but it's far too early to effectively evaluate their abundance of feathers, or lack thereof.  Cochins are a SLOW maturing breed, and often they will be a year old before you really know what they will look like.  Even if they are "pet quality" with some flaws, they will likely be a great learning opportunity, and there is absolutely no reason why you can't breed them and enjoy their offspring as pets and backyard layers.

Thank you for letting me know I've been trying to learn alot about them since they've become my favorite breed now

Back
Top Bottom