Cochin Hens

frogman

Chirping
Mar 20, 2015
I have 2 cochin hens (I think) how can I tell if one is a rooster?? She (the larger one) crows every morning - but both look identical. Red combs, the almost the same size, both friendly. I don't want more chicks!! Suggestions??

They are 5months old.

Last edited:
Can we see pictures? It's a possibility that you have a cockerel in your midst but it's hard to diagnose without being able to look at them. You might even have two cockerels if they look the same.

The crowing is alerting you that you have a rooster, so you have at least one rooster.

We would need a photo to tell what you might have as to the second bird.

LofMc

I have 2 cochin hens (I think) how can I tell if one is a rooster?? She (the larger one) crows every morning - but both look identical. Red combs, the almost the same size, both friendly. I don't want more chicks!! Suggestions??

They are 5months old.
Chicks will only 'happen' if you incubate, or allow a broody hen to incubate, the fertile eggs.

I did not know that - I thought once fertilized its a done deal. So if I remove the eggs from the nesting box and not let them brood - just like eating (layer) eggs??

Last edited:
I did not know that - I thought once fertilized its a done deal. So if I remove the eggs from the nesting box and not let them brood - just like eating (layer) eggs??
Yep, you won't even know the difference unless you know what to look for on the yolk.
Fertilized eggs need to be kept at ~100 degrees F for at least 24 hours before they start to develop into embryos.
Just gather your eggs daily for eating.

Back
Top Bottom