Cochin Thread!!!

That's just what the chicks look like at the beginning. They'll molt that.

Thanks, i have never noticed that, as the mottleds i am getting are from test breedings. Thanks, i will keep an eye on that. I am not trying to breed them, but have enjoyed the few that have popped up from the test breedings.

Andy, are they Blue? I know that Blues have white tips, solid white primaries, white on their foot feathering, etc., and it all molts out. So maybe if they're Blue that could be the reason.

Hey Nancy, to be honest i am not sure. The breeder i got the white pullet from said she was dominant white and "pure". It turns out both of my white pullets are recessive white and both carry mottling. There could be blue or anything else under there!

Last years test breeding gave me the genetics for my partridge pair, now i am trying to figure out my whites. They seem to be recessive(c/c), gold based (s+/-) and are either pure or split for mottling. Hard to tell at this stage, there could be anything else under there, but that is for next years test breeding.

fun stuff, but these are just fun breeding to teach me the genetics of my flock, my black and white birds are incubators only. The serious business is partridge!

Here are the primaries on my new mottled chick.

Anyone seen this on a mottled? I haven't seen full white feathers there before.

honestly the birds here are a genetic mystery. Everything I have test bred carries mottling. I haven't seen pure white flight feathers though.

another pic

my solid blacks had that quite often and would grow in black feathers when they moulted first time.

I know there was a person out there that had a baby partridge Cochin cockerel, but I think mine is ....
beautiful Partridge Cochin Pullet
clap.gif

Do you agree?? Here she is at 8weeks...

Here she was at 3 weeks...those waddles and comb scared me....
hide.gif

She got her comb early at about 2 weeks...

Any Florida breeders on here??? I'm looking for Buff barred, Splash, or Lemon blue cochin bantams hatching eggs that are local.....shipped eggs just are not working for me, the postal service has not been kind to my eggs :(

sad.png
I found one of my young hens dead in the nesting box this morning she could not lay her egg. For some reason I always felt something was not ok with her.......
The next time that happens you might want to post a request for help. Not all hens have to die from this condition. I had a young hen that was egg bound early on and she was able to pass it just by giving her a few doses of mineral oil in her vent.

The next time that happens you might want to post a request for help. Not all hens have to die from this condition. I had a young hen that was egg bound early on and she was able to pass it just by giving her a few doses of mineral oil in her vent.
eggbound so that's the word....

When I found her she was a bit warm still and when I lifted her up there was a shell less egg.... This should be her first egg to lay.

When you say mineral oil are you talking about Intestinal Lubricant Mineral Oil or something else cause I googled it trying to fine where I could possibly buy some later for the girls when they start to lay to keep on hand just encase they have trouble.

This was from another thread about a young partridge Cochin's gender.... my little chicky is 8 weeks old. I tried to compare the pictures. I have been obsessing can you tell....
wink.png

This picture is from another post by Studio2770
"7 weeks old. I'm leaning toward OliveER. Maroon is coming in.

here below is mine...

here below is Studio2770 little Oliver...

I thought that partridge roosters had patches of red on the body, my little chicky has uniform penciling throughout...
So I was hoping the penciling said pullet
fl.gif

Back
Top Bottom