Cochin Thread!!!

Are Cochins good layers?

Not really. They lay for many years but nothing like any of the commercial layers who burn out themselves before tehy are 2.5 years old. I have had bantam Cochins lay till 6 years old. Even in Bantam Cochins some varieties lay better than others. My Columbian and Buff Columbians lay over 100 eggs a year. My show blacks maybe 75 the first year and 50 a year after that

My little bantam frizzle. 4 weeks old and I think its a boy!
hit.gif
He's too pretty to be a boy! LOL

You definitely have a nice cockerel there.

Nikki816, what if you have a lavender hen bred with a blue roo? She doesnt have the dark splashes of blue, just a very very slight tint of blue.
You have a splash pullet there. You will get some beautiful birds in Blue and Splash if you breed this to a good Blue Cock. This is a BBS (Black-Blue-Splash breeding chart to know what you can expect when breeding any blue combination)Blue to Blue = 50% Blue, 25% Splash, 25% Black
Splash to Blue = 50% Blue, 50% Splash
Splash to Black = 100% Blue
Splash to Splash = 100% Splash
Blue to Black = 50% Blue, 50% Black
Black to Black = 100% Black

Last edited:
Thank you Nikki816!!I have the one black male cockerel that has a leg injury I have been trying to get recovered. He gets around but not as well as the rest. my blue cockerel thinks he is the boss till the black one puts him in his place, that was so funny to see. I hope to let them hatch out next year and I will keep only 12 so the pen does not over crowd.

Back
Top Bottom