Cockerel being weird about cracked corn

This is a very interesting question. I just tried to Google the question and got lots of info about crack cocaine and how humans would rather eat high fructose corn additives than chicken. That's got to be the biggest Google fail I've ever experienced. We're on our own here
I tried to find long funnels for bottling my kombucha, so it wouldn't foam over the top of the bottle. I figured beer brewers would have something. I googled "Beer long necked funnel" and got nothing but bongs.

For OP: how about using BOSS (black oil sunflower seed) to get your birds out and about?

this is going to sound stupid but I just need something to toss out to get the flock digging about and occupied for a couple minutes first thing in the morning so I can go in and start the morning coffee-with-chickens ritual peacefully rather than being covered in chickens and spilling the coffee before I make it to the chair.
I have a dozen small pens and cages with a few birds each. Before feeding I toss in some whole kernal corn so they do not rush the door. Otherwise it tough to get any feed in their bowl without the birds getting out.

Ok, I will admit I couldn't resist having a bit of fun with Junior's corn weirdness today. I went out with the usual handful of scratch in a scoop this morning but put a layer of mealworms over it to completely hide the corn. He came charging over as usual to shove his face in the scoop and just saw mealworms in it. After about 30sec of him being frozen staring into the scoop, he made the most disappointed version of a tidbitting noise I've ever heard and started giving them one at a time to the hens. I then dumped it out so he saw the corn, and he was so mad lol but he couldn't do anything about it because that would mean leaving the corn pile. I think all is forgiven though - he's still a sweet boy who likes his hugs. I won't make a regular habit of trying to bamboozle him.

My current bag of all flock feed got a bit pulverized, so there is a lot of find feed dust that I have been filtering out and setting aside. I made mash with the dust today and smashed a few berries into the mix for flavor interest, and I made sure Junior got a nice share of it - so now to see if he keeps being as desperate about the corn tomorrow morning.

For OP: how about using BOSS (black oil sunflower seed) to get your birds out and about?
I think I can get a smallish bag of that from my local feed store if they didn't stop stocking it for the season - will have a look for it next time I'm in. Unfortunately I don't like to get the 50lb bags of stuff since I have to store it on a shelf to avoid attracting shrews of all things this time of year.

Right now I also have half a bag of safflower seed sitting unused. Worth a try with the chickens maybe? I got the safflower originally for my wild bird feeder because I read squirrels don't like the way it tastes. Must be only gray squirrels though if it's even true at all; with the safflower seed I went from having one excessively aggressive pine squirrel to suddenly having about ten of them all fighting around the feeder.

He's a crack addict and needs to be checked into the Betty Ford clinic.

Seriously though, I have noticed that certain chickens will crave particular food items, for whatever reason. If he seems healthy and otherwise normal, I wouldn't worry about it unless he stops eating his regular feed or starts showing other types of strange behavior.

I may have turned a corner with Junior's corn obsession. He ate some frantically as usual this morning but then left quite a bit untouched and opted for hugs instead while the rest of the flock finished the corn. I guess the periodic berry-infused feed mash is helping. Fingers crossed he continues that trend and was just super hungry for some reason (growing? Paying more attention to the hens than his own well-being? Just being a derp? I have no idea). Safflower seed is also a hit, so I can swap that in sometimes and get that bag used up. Unfortunately didn't find any small bags of BOSS but the safflower will last a while and I can look around while going through that.

Now if I could just get one of my other cockerels to stop having bizarre, amorous inclinations towards a pair of fuzzy pink penguin-patterned pants I recently got.

I may have turned a corner with Junior's corn obsession. He ate some frantically as usual this morning but then left quite a bit untouched and opted for hugs instead while the rest of the flock finished the corn. I guess the periodic berry-infused feed mash is helping. Fingers crossed he continues that trend and was just super hungry for some reason (growing? Paying more attention to the hens than his own well-being? Just being a derp? I have no idea). Safflower seed is also a hit, so I can swap that in sometimes and get that bag used up. Unfortunately didn't find any small bags of BOSS but the safflower will last a while and I can look around while going through that.

Now if I could just get one of my other cockerels to stop having bizarre, amorous inclinations towards a pair of fuzzy pink penguin-patterned pants I recently got.
Maybe don't wear those pants when you are around him lol.

So to update on the Junior and corn situation...he is being a bit better about it. Still won't tidbit with corn, but he's calmer and seems less ravenous when I throw a handfull. I switched to mostly a mix of safflower and BOSS with a bit of corn here and also ditched the feed scoop for a smaller container to use with treats. That way he can't slam his whole front half into it (got worried he was going to cut his comb doing that). I think he was mostly a mix of hormonal and hangry. A well fed Junior is a happy Junior. I've been continuing to periodically put out a plate of feed mash mixed with other tasty things (berries, tuna, bits of leftovers, etc.) and that does seem to have made a difference.

I'm going to switch from regular BOSS in the snack rotation to using shell-free sunflower seeds though. Not because of Junior, but because of my smallest little hen called Dimple who will pick up just one seed and sit there for ages trying to smash the shell off of it before eating it - so she was getting basically none with the shell-on BOSS while the other chickens ate it shell and all. It was just kind of tragic to watch once I realized what she was doing. They get plenty of access to grit so not sure why Dimple is like that; I feel like she's big enough to eat them whole but I guess she doesn't think so. Anyway, Junior also seems content with the shell-free option so I will just use that for Dimple's sake so she can get more than a single seed at snack time.

And as for the fuzzy pink penguin pants situation...that other little cockerel is unfortunately still a weirdo lol.

When you got into chickens, did you ever think you'd be dealing with such a variety of personalities? I sure didn't. And have you ever heard any of your chickens actually growl at another chicken to warn them away from the food they both were targeting?

Our chickens sure do entertain.
Some of mine are 'crack' addicts; some won't touch it; some love berries; some love bread; ALL love meat! I put out 3 types of feed since I usually have chicks, too. Fascinating little dinosaurs...

Back
Top Bottom