frow.gif
Good evening all you flock tenders Water froze here too
and that hill seems to be getting higher.or my coops are moving farther away
gig.gif

I got the new dishwasher in and cabinets never a gain
he.gif

redecorate so close to christmas... cards , not sent out
havent baked anything in a week all I seem
to be doing is feeding and watering and sweeping up.
both flock and family.Did get the tree up well almost
its standing bright and green in its glory but not a one colored ball.. on it as yet.
oh well Tomorrow will be D-DAY ....
D.....day to decorate. everyone have a safe and warm week end.
caf.gif

Humm hot tea is doing its job right now.

Morning People,
Warm spell here this morning, 27 degs, but a light dusting of snow.
They young group of chickens are getting along, no more "fighting". They are even taking to sleeping with each other. Last show of the year today. Now to start clearing out the shop projects. I can't wait for a "warm" day to give it a good cleaning.

Enjoy your day
Kaj

Good morning -

Well I was down looking at our tree and its really lovely. We got a new one this year thinking we would give the old one to Dotty - then Marks Mum bought them a new one. So now we have 4 of them???????? We bought Ben a little tree for his Flat and he had much fun decorating it. Bless him he went to visit Emm and Mike and cannot for the life of him understand why there are no decorations in his house at all????? We would have offered them the old tree but well they don;t believe in Christmas so what point is there??? Dotty and Mark have a fine tree and Dot has been collecting gifts since the summer so they have plenty. Ben has too and thankfully part of the extra care stuff he got will go towards heating oil and a new Washing machine that he needs to be more independant. We need to get a simple one with only a few settings as he forgets how to work it. We are I guess well on the way to being sorted for the Christmas. We are out with friends Monday to the big Christmas display and may be able to pick up a few more decorations and a fairy for Dotty. ( She doesn;t have them.) We got Ben some last week. As you can see its a bit frustrating not to be able to do the same for Mike but its not appreciated.

Anyhow the hens are out and about the yard - roos were rooing at 6am this morning!!!!!!!!!! I can see a short life in their future!!!!!!!!!

Jess stayed over last night she is adorable!!!!!!!!! She is taking solid food now
lol.png

Sissy - I have not done any baking either so will need to be at that soon. I hope what you got done has turned out good and you like it? - We were daft enough to move house one year on boxing day can you believe!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quercus - how did you stop the fighting as my two big roos always attack the little one and now they are fighting eachother. Duck even tries to peck me when I lift him. But he gets a whack.

Rancher - did you get rid of your unwanted roos??????? How do you cull them and not feel bad for them? I want to do meat birds but not sure if I can. I feel bad

oesdog

Last edited:
I woke up to 1/2 a cup of coffee left. Seriously? How did I miss this yesterday?

So rushing around printing up invoices for work... apparently people like to shop my store while I'm sleeping. I don't understand how people are up christmas shopping at 2am. Maybe its because I'm so exhausted I can't keep my eyes open after 11pm anymore! OH NO... signs I'm getting old!!!
th.gif

Anyways.... my mom is putting up her tree today and is willing to take my daughter to help her decorate! I'm so excited to have the whole day to fill orders
yippiechickie.gif
I never get anyone to babysit for me. So this is a special moment
smile.png
We only get family to help out like 2-3 times year!
celebrate.gif
ya.gif
love.gif

Ok... so going to run her over there so she gets the whole day with the nephews and grandparents. I hope she's on her best behavior.
thumbsup.gif

And I wish you all a MERRY CHRISTMAS, MANY BLESSINGS and a HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!

***just incase I get swallowed with work this next week & then the MIL will be here and my office is the guest room***

Oesdog, no I haven't. I've posted two as chicks but they ain't chicks anymore. I really need to get a set up to do it and then it' might be easier for me to process them. My SIL is here and I"m sure he will help but it's a tricky situation with that one.

Roos are hard to give away here and I hate to do it since I've fed and cared for them all this time. Can't see someone just commin along and benefitting from all my hard work.

Quote:
I think I am going to have to kill my big boy Duck cause he is fighting loads. - I am sad and don;t want to kill him as I wanted more Maran chicks next year.

Oesdog
sad.png
Hate this bit of chicken love?)

Quote:
I think I am going to have to kill my big boy Duck cause he is fighting loads. - I am sad and don;t want to kill him as I wanted more Maran chicks next year.

Oesdog
sad.png

I completely understand. Took Eric to the auction and regret it til this day. Nice big honkin roo and now have no way to get more chicks with the hens I have. He was just to rough on the girls, but I need some replacement hens and now have no way of getting them. If I want to have a closed flock I gotta breed my own replacements. That means more than one roo or just one breed. Folks don't like white and black they want color. Or dark, dark egg layers.

Take care

Rancher

Quote:

Oesdog
sad.png

I completely understand. Took Eric to the auction and regret it til this day. Nice big honkin roo and now have no way to get more chicks with the hens I have. He was just to rough on the girls, but I need some replacement hens and now have no way of getting them. If I want to have a closed flock I gotta breed my own replacements. That means more than one roo or just one breed. Folks don't like white and black they want color. Or dark, dark egg layers.

Take care

Rancher

Yes you completely hit the nail on the head. I want a closed flock. I want the three Roos because I wanted to have three blood lines. But I don;t think it will go to plan now as they are so loud. I thought the Roo Nugget was just a PR but actually he is deffinately Berthas son so is 90 % Red Speckled sussex. You all know what a lovely big hen Bertha is and what a wonderful brood hen too! I just can't NOT get a hen replacement for her. - I so want Duck to go to Gerty and have more Marans and of course well BLue can go to any of the lower rank hens. But if he goes to Omlet I will get Olive Eggers which would be great. I don;t think I would hatch any of the other eggs just Berthas, Gerty and Omlets and maybe Issobellas because she lays white and so could in theory have a baby who lays blue? You are right folk want the odd colour eggs don;t they. I want a healthy load of girls who lay well and give good strong chicks.

Oesdog

It was a busy day, but that's a story that'll have to wait for another time.

Have an EE in the coop who insists on getting in the nest they all like to lay in. I keep moving her to the lower one no one goes into. If I can get her to stay I might as well give her some eggs. Why don't the older girls go broody. This one has just started laying! Lord have mercy I don't need any more chicks. I've got 35 in the incu and 18 in the brooder.

MY plan is when these get to laying age I'll give my two year olds away. The only ones who are any good laying are the Dels anyhow. I don't think the marans have laid in awhile, I'm not sure.

Somebody say a prayer I learn to process roos, cuz I can't keep feeding them and then giving them away, and I just can't wring their necks when I can tell they are roos.

Well take care.

Rancher

Quote:
Rancher I woulld talk to this lady she is good with the culling stuff.

sonew123

She also has an interesting post on Meat birds # Meat Birds ETC
# » my first meaties raising experience-with pictures now 1st post:)

Hope this helps. I struggle with this too!
Oesdog
hmm.png

Back
Top Bottom