Color genetics thread.

He's definitely barred, a very handsome cockerel. If his mother is pure for barring and you know you've got a male there is no way he wouldn't be barred. It's just not possible. :)
Alright, thanks! Yah his mother was a barred Cochin (I guess :)) but people on here said the boys were supposed to be all barred with orange streaks. Or black with a white spot on top of their head when they were chicks and he didn't. So his mom has a hidden silver gene or something?

Alright, thanks! Yah his mother was a barred Cochin (I guess :)) but people on here said the boys were supposed to be all barred with orange streaks. Or black with a white spot on top of their head when they were chicks and he didn't. So his mom has a hidden silver gene or something?
He has the Columbian gene. Part of what it does is to restrict black to the outer edges of the bird, and prevents it in the breast, wingbow, back and shoulders. The barring can't be seen there because of that gene. Look at Delawares.

Buff Brahmas are buff Columbian. Likely where it came from.

Silver and gold genes are completely separate.

Trying to find information on "Bobtail" bantam cochins -- its a color, not a different style of cochin. (The color name was supposedly given because of the resemblance of the hens to an Old English Sheepdog/Bobtail)

www.cochinsint.com/uploads/8/8/2/1/8821267/ci_-_bobtail_cochins.pdf

Of the limited information that I can find from searching, it usually goes way over my head, genetically speaking. So I'd like to ask some of the genetic gurus here to take a guess at what might be behind this color and patterning? And "dumb it down" for me, please??

BobtailCochinBtyTrio.JPEG

bobtai11.jpg

Oh wow stunning... I see from the paper in 2013 they planned to do more test breedings, I have not found the results yet. This could be a bunch of genes at work, first you got something that knocks out neck color, there must be a sexlinked factor I would think. I found a new breeds article for Europe that I.D. the color as lavender. Which could be but with other modifiers. Now I want these. Just wow.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom