Color genetics thread.

View attachment 1065276 Birches might be it check out these Pekin Blue Birchen... Bobtail could be same basic genetics minus the lacing? And maybe something that dilutes the males more?

Wow those do look similar. I'm just in love with the look of them! Thanks for helping!

I did read somewhere they were breeding true through generations, so apparently they got it. I just can't find enough that makes sense to me.

I am no expert so sometimes I mix stuff up but those blue birchens have a strong resemblance... I wonder if one could breed out the neck pattern.

Very close, but breeding blue would give black and splash as well... lavender turns autosomal red into a brassy color, might be something along those lines, maybe?

Very close, but breeding blue would give black and splash as well... lavender turns autosomal red into a brassy color, might be something along those lines, maybe?

I know very little about red, ok nothing actually. But after playing with the genetics calculators for my chocolates, I'm starting to follow some of this, so you could very well be onto something. No idea why i never asked you about this when i first discovered them! Lol

Yeah that is what I am thinking... the self blue/lav has got to be involved.

And the lav should assist in keeping the breeding true thru generations, I'm thinking.
Tagging @Laurel Meadows she has self blue cochins, and some birchen in her flocks, and is also interested in the bobtail color. More brains working together, we just might figure out something worth working on!

Alright, I've got a bit of a head scratcher.
This little girl is 6 weeks old. She was solid chocolate brown. I have never hatched a chick like her before. Clearly, she's not chocolate. Was her down color, and current coloration due to Mahogany? Is it the Melanized gene? Could it be Dark Brown?
DSCN0559.JPG
DSCN0560.JPG

Pretty sure this is her mother -
DSCN0523.JPG

And this is the father-
DSCN0183.JPG

Parents are half-siblings. This is their father-
100_4582.JPG

Just joining in for fun here - love the colorful photos! I have a SLW Rooster and SLW hens and GLW hens. I've read that the chicks can ONLY be silver if the roo is silver. Curious if there will be any mottled or indications to tell which one had Gold mothers? I collected eggs from the flock and put them under the broody. Currently have 4 chicks that just turned 4 weeks old. Some are darker, some have more white flecks. Time will tell, but I'd love it if they didn't just look like regular silvers. I don't show, I'm not "trying" for anything, just curious.
P1150938.JPG

Alright, I've got a bit of a head scratcher.
This little girl is 6 weeks old. She was solid chocolate brown. I have never hatched a chick like her before. Clearly, she's not chocolate. Was her down color, and current coloration due to Mahogany? Is it the Melanized gene? Could it be Dark Brown?View attachment 1068601 View attachment 1068602
Pretty sure this is her mother -
View attachment 1068603
And this is the father-View attachment 1068604
Parents are half-siblings. This is their father-
View attachment 1068605
Solid brown down could be Db effect on ER black down, and brown stippling from being het ER

Back
Top Bottom