Color genetics thread.

@moving coops I totally understand. Don't feel bad. Sometimes visuals help. This chart assumes that the parent have two copies of black. The blue gene is added separately from the black gene... sort of like adding creamer to coffee I suppose. birds on the left are parents, birds on the right represent the colors of chicks you'll get.
I use this chart as its a little easier to see the colors:

Good morning! I haven't read this thread, so I apologize if this has been asked before.

I have a Blue Wheaten Ameraucana cockerel over a Spangled Russian Orloff Hen. Here's the chick:

Because the chick looks blue Wheaten-ish, does that mean it is probably a female or does that color association get broken when it is a mixture?

Thanks!

Good morning! I haven't read this thread, so I apologize if this has been asked before.

I have a Blue Wheaten Ameraucana cockerel over a Spangled Russian Orloff Hen. Here's the chick:

Because the chick looks blue Wheaten-ish, does that mean it is probably a female or does that color association get broken when it is a mixture?

Thanks!

I would say most likely female... :)

Hello, I have a bufff brahma bantam male,

And a lavender Cochin bantam female, (who I don't have a picture of) and I was wondering what colors I would get if I bred the two together

Black with buff leakage... lavender is a recessive of black, so bred to other colors it breeds as black... but offspring will carry lavender...

Hello, looking for a bit of advice on the following breeding as I'm still trying to figure out the genetics. This is my guess and looking for conformation that this is what color combos are so I can let my buyers know. /these are being sold as layers

1. Rooster isabel cuckoo orpington over buff orpington hen = buff chicks
2. rooster isabel cuckoo orpington over lavender cuckoo = half lavender cuckoo and half lavender
3. rooster isabel cuckoo orpington over black = black solid

Is this correct?

thanks

Ayyy I haven't been around this thread for some time. I've wrapped my head around the Silver gene. If S/S is silver, and s+/s+ is golden (or wild type), then would S/s+ be the result of incomplete dominance? Like with roses, how the red ones contain the dominant red allele and the white ones contain a recessive white allele but if crossed they produce pink roses?

Would the offspring who have S/s+ be silver with a golden sheen of some sort? And would only males have S/s+?

Last edited:
I'm hoping to get an answer (in layman's terms) to my question, so if anyone can help, please do. My question is this.. I want to make a Silver Laced chicken. I have this breed in Gold Laced & can get another different breed in Silver Laced. If I breed these two colors together, with the first breeding I will get all Silver chicks, with the males hiding Gold Laced, correct? If so, do I breed the offspring back to one of the parent birds or to eachother to get the best results & get rid of the hidden Gold Laced? Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom