Color genetics thread.

Question. I saw on a different chicken group page I'm on that crossing a partridge cochin to a blue Cochin would result in a lemon blue. Is that right? No indication of its a self-blue (lavender) or blue. The person said it didn't matter regarding which color behind to which parent. Is this right? It's bugging me for some reason as possibly being wrong, but I'm not sure. Thanks!

Question. I saw on a different chicken group page I'm on that crossing a partridge cochin to a blue Cochin would result in a lemon blue. Is that right? No indication of its a self-blue (lavender) or blue. The person said it didn't matter regarding which color behind to which parent. Is this right? It's bugging me for some reason as possibly being wrong, but I'm not sure. Thanks!

I feel like that would be wrong, too. Blue gene (as in black/blue/splash) doesn't affect the gold coloration, so I think at best case you would get a blue partridge rather than a lemon blue, worst case you would just get solid blacks and solid blues with possible leakage. Maybe they meant the lavender gene, but are used to calling it self-blue?

Though even if it was self blue, it would take at least 2 generations to get lemon blue. If one parent was pure lavender and one parent was pure partridge, I think the first generation would be solid black. Someone else feel free to hop in if this is incorrect though! :)

Last edited:
I feel like that would be wrong, too. Blue gene (as in black/blue/splash) doesn't affect the gold coloration, so I think at best case you would get a blue partridge rather than a lemon blue, worst case you would just get solid blacks and solid blues with possible leakage. Maybe they meant the lavender gene, but are used to calling it self-blue?

Though even if it was self blue, it would take at least 2 generations to get lemon blue. If one parent was pure lavender and one parent was pure partridge, I think the first generation would be solid black. Someone else feel free to hop in if this is incorrect though! :)

All they said was blue. I could see taking couple of generations-if it was possible to have it become consistent. I was wondering if might get blue partridge, which would be neat, but also other potentials. I do have self-blue pullets & partridge cockerels (poorly marked I think) that once past a year I could see what happens. My girls' type isn't great, but from what I've been told it's hard to get self-blues that are really great. I'm learning & not in it right now for show. I'm hoping as I build my flock to get their vigor, production up along with the type & color-pattern. Since I'm in the desert hoping anything I do will have birds be more heat resistant.

How would one introduce the Mahogany gene to mille fleur? So that it's Red Mille fleur.

Would you breed a mille fleur male over a red columbian hen and then take the F1 offspring and cross them back to a mille fleur and keep doing this until you get the best expression?

Last edited:
No, you use a Red Brown x Splash to make Lemon Blue. You can do hen x cockerel or vice versa, doesn't matter.

No, you use a Red Brown x Splash to make Lemon Blue. You can do hen x cockerel or vice versa, doesn't matter.

Wouldn't this result in first generation being solid black chicks though, assuming that the splash individual didn't have any hidden genes?

Wouldn't this result in first generation being solid black chicks though, assuming that the splash individual didn't have any hidden genes?
Start out by selecting the best possible Brown Red birds (s), good type, good color and good pattern markings. Then select the best possible Splash bird(s), good type, good Color. Be sure this splash is from Blue to Blue breeding (not sure but a splash from splash to splash should work), look for lacing factors on the body of the splash.

I used a Splash male over Brown Red female, but it should work either way. I would not use to many females as it will make it easier to keep up with.

First Year Mating:

Splash x Brown Red – This should produce all blue chicks, most should feather in with the red/orange coloring. Some will show the pattern better than other, most all, especially females may be dark or blue headed. Keep the chicks with the best pattern for Brown Red or Lemon Blue. Try not to keep birds with heavy lacing or solid feathering in the chest.

Second Year Mating:

We will now call the off springs from the first mating Lemon Blue.

Lemon Blue X Lemon Blue

This mating should produce more of the same as the parents, as well as some Lemon Splash and maybe some poor colored Brown Reds (these may be black and blue mixed Feathering). Do not keep any of these Brown Red colored chicks. The Splash or Lemon Splash should look like a splash but will have orange or maybe lemon feathers scattered, mostly in hackle or saddle area.

Third Year Mating:

This is when you want to improve your color pattern and color.

Brown Red (pure) X Lemon Splash (Pen #1)

Lemon Blue x Lemon Blue (This should be Lemons from second years mating) (Pen #2)

Select you very best from these mating’s. Always type first the color and pattern.

Fourth Year Mating:

Now you can start crossing the two mating’s from the third year mating. Note one pen at this point should be Lemon Splash to Lemon Blue, this is to lighten the orange to the point you see more lemon color. You may need to do this again in the fifth year mating and so on until you get the lemon color. Do not bleed the out or to light. Also if you still need more pattern you can again breed Lemon Splash to Brown Red.

Lemon Blue Pen #1 x Lemon Blue Pen #2 (Pen #1)

Lemon Splash x Lemon Blue (Pen#2)

Lemon Splash x Brown Red (Pen#3 if need be)
Fifth Year Mating:

Determine how the fourth years breeding turned out. If close breed Lemon Blue to Lemon Blue. Make adjustments depending on what’s lacking or needed.

These five breeding’s should put you there; you may have birds to show after the third year. Remember Color pattern is same as Brown Reds, color is lemon or yellow. You may see some lemon/orange on males. Stay away from deep orange or red. Wing color and chest color on males is always a problem and watch for lacing down the back of females. Solid lemon or orange in chest of both is not good. Make adjustments, breed light and dark, use Lemon splash to brown reds or lemon blues. You should get to a point where Lemon Blue to Lemon Blue produces the best birds.

thank you both! Would you start with red brown birds who are lighter for the lemon areas to start? Would that help in reaching a good lemon color? I'm curious as to how depth of color impacts or if it does.

Can this be done with self blue (lavender) or is it blue only?

Appreciate the info! It's all fascinating & I wish I could play mad color scientist lol.

Back
Top Bottom